All Contributions from Survey of London

Photograph of bollards marking site of Royal Brunswick Theatre, 1964

Wombat's (Aldgate Hostel), 7 Dock Street | Survey of London

These iron bollards, which survive, are marked RBT for Royal Brunswick Theatre, which stood, briefly (1828), on the west side of Ensig...

The Ladies Swimming Bath and Recreation Hall, c.1893 to 1938

The Wash Houses, London Metropolitan University, former Whitechapel Baths | Survey of London

  For several years women and schoolgirls were only given access to the swimming baths on Wednesdays, so that they might ‘acqu...

Photos and notes on data centres

Camperdown House | Survey of London

See more photos here: https://wheretheinternetlives....

Altab Ali Park

Altab Ali Park, including the site of the parish church of St Mary Matfelon | Survey of London

On 4 May 1978 Altab Ali, a 25-year old clothing machinist of Bangladeshi origin, was murdered in Adler Street, Whitechapel, beside the...

29-31A Commercial Road

31 Commercial Road | Survey of London

This site was created by the westwards extension of Commercial Road in 1869-70. It was acquired by Henry Bear, a tobacco manufacturer....

War Damage and Rebuilding, c.1939 to 1990

The Wash Houses, London Metropolitan University, former Whitechapel Baths | Survey of London

  A rocket bomb that fell on 10 November 1944 spelled the definitive end for the washing department. Whitechapel Baths remaine...

A History of the Bell Foundry

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

The Whitechapel Bell Foundry, which closed in June 2017, was a remarkable survival. Its business cards claimed it as ‘Britain’s oldest...

Notes and photos

55 Mansell Street | Survey of London

Found here: https://wheretheinternetlives.wordpress.com/2...

22 Osborn Street

22 Osborn Street | Survey of London

Osborn Street was not yet fully built up in the 1790s when a courthouse was built on the site of Nos 22–24. Osborn Street’s Court of R...

10-12 Whitechapel Road

10 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This pair of houses may be datable to about 1770 when a larger frontage was said to be 'lately built'. The front wall was rebuilt or a...

Whitechapel Fire Station

Whitechapel Fire Station | Survey of London

Built in 1929–32, Whitechapel Fire Station is a rarity as an inter-war London County Council fire station still serving its original p...

The Women’s Library and London Metropolitan University, c.1995 onwards

The Wash Houses, London Metropolitan University, former Whitechapel Baths | Survey of London

  The conversion was not immediate. In 1995 Wright and Wright Architects won a design competition to remodel the site for Lond...

5-9 White Church Lane

5-9 White Church Lane | Survey of London

This large four-storey red-brick clothing factory of 1919-21 was built by and for B. Levine, a shopfitter of Greenfield Street, with A...

Whitechapel Market, 1975

Whitechapel Market, Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A view of the market from a digitised colour slide in the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTH...

131 Whitechapel Road

131 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

An earlier timber cottage on this site partially blocked an alleyway that was here by the 1650s. It was called King David's Alley or D...

The site's early history

Dryden Building, 37 Commercial Road | Survey of London

This site was the south end of a mulberry garden from the seventeenth century (see under the Church of St Boniface). Use as a pleasure...

Browne & Eagle Warehouse at 22-26 Leman Street, 1869-1956

Maersk House | Survey of London

On this site a five-storey warehouse was built in 1869 by Holland and Hannen for Browne &amp; Eagle, local wool merchants. Convenientl...

Drinking Fountain, White Church Lane

Drinking Fountain | Survey of London

This drinking fountain was erected in 1860 on the Whitechapel Road railing near the east end of the seventeenth-century Church of St M...

36 Whitechapel Road and 1 Fieldgate Street, 1960s

Mosque Tower, 1 Fieldgate Street and 36 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, and the buildings (left) that stood at 36 Whitechapel Road and 1 Fieldgate S...

Amalgamation and Building Beagle House, 1956-1974

Maersk House | Survey of London

In a deal that was met with some surprise and industry interest, Browne &amp; Eagle amalgamated with tea merchants Colonial Wharves in...

Whitechapel Gallery: pre-history and early history up to 1914

Whitechapel Gallery, 77-82 Whitechapel High Street | Survey of London

Although it opened in 1901, the Whitechapel Gallery can date its effective foundation to 1881 when Samuel Barnett began an annual pict...

The Grocers' Company's Wing, 1873–6

Former Royal London Hospital | Survey of London

The hospital expanded eastwards in 1873–6 with the construction of the Grocers’ Company’s Wing, a Post Mortem Department and a Nurses’...

The Church of St Mary Matfelon

Altab Ali Park, including the site of the parish church of St Mary Matfelon | Survey of London

Medieval churches The first church on the site that is now Altab Ali Park was built in the mid thirteenth century (by...

24 Osborn Street

24 Osborn Street | Survey of London

Osborn Street was not yet fully built up in the 1790s when a courthouse was built on the site of Nos 22–24. Osborn Street’s Court of R...

East London Mail Centre and E1 Delivery Office

East London Mail Centre and E1 Delivery Office | Survey of London

The large concrete building which dominates the corner of Whitechapel Road and Cavell Street represents the last expression of postal ...

Corner of Cambridge Heath Road, 1970

Crossrail Works, Cambridge Heath Road | Survey of London

Another digitised colour slide from the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives: the houses at the corner were subsequently removed f...

4 White Church Lane

Tip Top Casual Wear, 4 White Church Lane | Survey of London

1852–3, stock brick, unaltered to rear, built as a sale room by and for Isaac Bird, auctioneer. Painted-shutter from 2012 by Hunto. [^...

From Beagle House to Maersk House, 1974-2016

Maersk House | Survey of London

Capitalising on London’s booming market for speculative office developments, Seifert and Partners had grown from twelve employees in 1...

Whitechapel reference library, 1971

Whitechapel Gallery | Survey of London

A view of the reference library in 1975, from a digitised colour slide in the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives: <a hre...

4A and 6 White Church Lane

4A and 6 White Church Lane | Survey of London

No. 6 is of the 1850s, refronted in 1898–9, of painted brick with a painted shutter of 2012 by 2Rise, whose tag has also been prominen...

9 Manningtree Street

9 Manningtree Street | Survey of London

Built in 1898-9 with 19 White Church Lane for Jacob King. Arthur C. Payne, architect, H. W. Brown, builder. [^1] [^1]: Distric...

Cambridge Heath Road and Mile End Road, 1969

Crossrail Works, Cambridge Heath Road | Survey of London

Another digitised colour slide from the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives: the area in front of the White Hart pub on the Mile ...

Former St George's Brewery, 33 Commercial Road

Former St George's Brewery, 33 Commercial Road | Survey of London

The imposing early-Victorian brick range that stands askew behind Commercial Road east of White Church Lane was built by John A. Furze...

8 and 10 White Church Lane

8 White Church Lane | Survey of London

This pair was built in 1852 by Jabez Single of New Road as houses with shops that were first occupied by Mark Berry, a zinc and tinpla...

2 Whitechapel Road with 40 Adler Street

2 Whitechapel Road with 40 Adler Street | Survey of London

Buck &amp; Hickman, saw and tool makers, had this corner site from 1860–1. Matthew Buck, a Sheffield sawmaker, had come to London by 1...

Jewish burial ground in 1975

Former Jewish burial ground | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from Tower Hamlets Archives:  ht...

East London mosque in its temporary building, 1977

East London Mosque | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets archive collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/758994373...

27A Commercial Road

27A Commercial Road | Survey of London

27a Commercial Road was built in 1876–8 by A. P. Wootton as a speculation. The commercial premises first housed Hyam Goldstein’s cap f...

65-68 Whitechapel High Street

65 Whitechapel High Street | Survey of London

The short uniform terrace at Nos 65–68 dates from 1853, when it was put up by James Brake, a Clerkenwell builder. Henry Crockford, a f...

135 and 137 Whitechapel Road

Islamic Relief, 135 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This is a four-storey showroom–workroom block of 1932–4, erected for W. Abbott with W. Silk &amp; Sons Ltd as builders. A. Samuels &am..;.

Whitechapel Gallery since 1914

Whitechapel Gallery, 77-82 Whitechapel High Street | Survey of London

The Gallery in war and peace, 1914-39 The shows were emblematic of an attempt to shift away from the over-arching ped...

29-33 White Church Lane

29-33 White Church Lane | Survey of London

Fishel K. Abrahamson converted a house at No. 29 to be a synagogue in 1895–6.  Nos 29–33 Church Lane and 27a Commercial Road w...

Units Workshops, 1-13 Adler Street

1-13 Adler Street | Survey of London

The County of London Plan of 1943 prescribed distinct zones of activity, recommending the dispersal of industry away from Lon...

The Great Synagogue seen in 1977

Former Fieldgate Street Great Synagogue | Survey of London

The Great Synagogue surrounded by cleared sites now occupied by the East London Mosque, London Muslim Centre and Maryam Centre, from a...

Whitechapel station in 1975

Whitechapel Station | Survey of London

A newly digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/79...

Earlier buildings at 135-149 Whitechapel Road

Shell Petrol Station, 139-149 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

Christopher Clarke (1613–72), a Warden of the Drapers’ Company, acquired property in Whitechapel including what is now 131–145 Whitech...

The Brown Bear, c. 1970

The Brown Bear, 139 Leman Street | Survey of London

From an undated colour slide in the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status...

3 White Church Lane

3 White Church Lane | Survey of London

This two-storey brick corner building of c.1960 was bomb-damage replacement. It was much embellished in 2012 through Global Street Art...

7-8 Manningtree Street

7-8 Manningtree Street | Survey of London

2011-13, office and residential block, replacing a clothing factory of 1930-2. Kyson, architects, for Breanstar Ltd, brick facade with...

2-6 Old Montague Street

2-6 Old Montague Street | Survey of London

Two-storey buildings on this site were replaced in 1904–5 in their present form – three storeys with plain brick fronts, shops under d...

27 Commercial Road

27 Commercial Road | Survey of London

This four-storey corner warehouse was built in 1872–3 for Edmund Richard Goodrich, an oilman whose premises had been taken for the wes...

Halal restaurant in 1966

2-6 St Mark Street | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/79384325...

Wynfrid House

Wynfrid House | Survey of London

This guest house was built in 1968-70 to the east of and as an adjunct to the German Roman Catholic Church of St Boniface. It was conc...

Naylor Building East, 15 Adler Street

Naylor Building East, 15 Adler Street | Survey of London

This block was part of a residential and retail development for Ballymore Properties built to plans prepared by Michael Squire and Par...

28-30 Whitechapel Road

28 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This pair of shophouses was built in 1846 for John Turner, by Little and Sons, local builders at Size Yard. The first occupants of the...

Whitechapel station, 1975

Whitechapel Station | Survey of London

A colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archive collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/729675180549771264"...

Former Clergy House (St Mary's House), 2 White Church Lane

Sushino En (formerly St Mary's House) | Survey of London

This site near the north-west corner of what was the parish churchyard was part occupied by the parish watch house and a fire-engine h...

The former Eastern Dispensary in 1967

The Dispensary | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide form the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/78799825...

Blind Beggar in 1973

The Blind Beggar public house | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide form the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/71293128...

The German Roman Catholic Church of St Boniface, Adler Street

St Boniface German Church, 47 Adler Street | Survey of London

London’s German Catholic Mission acquired Lady Huntingdon’s Sion Chapel in 1861. This congregation had its origins at the Virginia Str...

2-6 Old Montague Street

2-6 Old Montague Street | Survey of London

Two-storey buildings on this site were replaced in 1904–5 in their present form – three storeys with plain brick fronts, shops under d...

1 to 4 Grace's Alley in 1972

2 Graces Alley (part of Wilton's Music Hall) | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide of Wilton's and the neighbouring houses in 1972, from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href=...

12-20 Osborn Street

12-20 Osborn Street (Arbor City Hotel) | Survey of London

What had previously been the narrow southern end of Brick Lane took its present form and the name Osborn Street (after local landowner...

Aldgate Triangle

Dryden Building, 37 Commercial Road | Survey of London

Holloway Street became a westwards extension of Coke Street in the 1960s, its margins largely empty. By the 1990s land here was wholly...

65A Whitechapel High Street

65A Whitechapel High Street | Survey of London

No. 65a Whitechapel High Street has its origins as a building of c1897. Prominent from the west, it was well finished with lavish use ...

The Bar Locks (formerly the Horse and Groom public house), 21 White Church Lane

The Bar Locks (formerly the Horse and Groom) | Survey of London

There was a Horse and Groom pub on this corner site by 1760. A two-storey building that had been run by Henry Levy was replaced in 190...

28-30 Osborn Street

28 Osborn Street | Survey of London

The group at 26–30 Osborn Street has early nineteenth-century origins. By the 1840s George and Henry Fulcher had a distillery at Nos 2...

The Model Establishment, c.1847 to 1871

The Wash Houses, London Metropolitan University, former Whitechapel Baths | Survey of London

  Following Edwin Chadwick’s sanitary reports of 1842, a ‘Committee for Baths for the Labouring Classes’ was formed in October...

Hult International Business School and Tower, 33 Commercial Road

Hult International Business School (with Hult Tower), 33 Commercial Road | Survey of London

From 1900-1 John Walker &amp; Sons Ltd of Kilmarnock (Johnnie Walker) held the former St George's Brewery building (see adjacent site)...

Re-opening and Extension, c.1871 to 1889

The Wash Houses, London Metropolitan University, former Whitechapel Baths | Survey of London

  The density and poverty of the area surrounding Whitechapel Baths was frequently noted in late nineteenth-century reports. T...

Jewish Working Girls’ Club (1903-c.1938)

Leman Street Apart-Hotel | Survey of London

By 1903 the former Mission School was in use by the Jewish Working Girls’ Club (JWGC), a sister group to the Butler Street (now Brune ...

26 Osborn Street

26 Osborn Street | Survey of London

The group at 26–30 Osborn Street has early nineteenth-century origins. By the 1840s George and Henry Fulcher had a distillery at Nos 2...

Old Montague Street's early history

Hopetown | Survey of London

Taking its name from the family that acquired the land hereabouts in 1643, Montague Street was in existence from about that time. In t...

14 Whitechapel Road

Haji Nanna Biryani, 14 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A timber-framed building on this site by the early eighteenth century was the George public house, then by 1841 the George and Dragon....

Dog's bravery award, 1858

Central Tower, Aldgate Place | Survey of London

In 1858, a dog named Bill, employed by the London Fire Brigade, was the subject of an award for his bravery at the premises of Mr Upso...

The Crown and Seven Stars

The Artful Dodger (formerly the Crown and Seven Stars) | Survey of London

There was a public house of the name Crown and Seven Stars at the corner of Blue Anchor Yard and Rosemary Lane (the name of Royal Mint...

North side of Whitechapel Road at the junction with Davenant Street, 1971

Shell Petrol Station, 139-149 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection was taken in 1971 outside where the East London Mosque now stan...

42 Adler Street

Qbic London City, 42 Adler Street | Survey of London

The George Inn's livery stables extended back to the line of Mulberry Street from the eighteenth century up to 1913. Buck &amp; Hickma...

82-86 Old Montague Street with 12-18 Greatorex Street

Don Gratton House, Alma Home, Greatorex Street Young People's Centre and Institute of Psychotrauma | Survey of London

There was a house on the site of 16 Greatorex Street by the early 1770s when John Harrison set up a ropewalk behind. Around 1845 Ind, ...

19 White Church Lane

19 White Church Lane | Survey of London

In the early 1880s Simon Cohen (sometimes Simha Becker), a pastry cook across the road at 32 Church Lane, used a house on the site of ...

Parish burial ground, almshouses and workhouse

Open space, Moss Close | Survey of London

Richard Gardiner was Whitechapel’s Rector in 1614 when parish churchwardens oversaw the acquisition of a rectangular plot of about an ...

32-38 Osborn Street

32-38 Osborn Street | Survey of London

The present block on this site was built in 1961–2 for Commerce House (Gower Street) Ltd, to designs by J. E. Morgan and Partners, sur...

Naylor Building West, 14-24 White Church Lane and 1 Assam Street

Naylor Building West, 1 Assam Street (and 14-24 White Church Lane) | Survey of London

This was part of a residential and retail development for Ballymore Properties. A first scheme of 1997 by CZWG Architects and seen as ...

Shaheed Minar

Shaheed Minar | Survey of London

In 1999 the south-west corner of Altab Ali Park gained a Shaheed Minar (Martyrs’ Monument), a semi-circular concrete plinth with five ...

former St Mary's clergy house, c. 1977

Sushino En (formerly St Mary's House) | Survey of London

The former clergy house, seen when in use as a post office c. 1977, from a digitised colour slide in the Tower Hamlets Archives collec...

Grand Palais Theatre, 1960s

127-139 Commercial Road | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/76918480...

The Royal London Hospital Medical College

Garrod Building | Survey of London

The Royal London Hospital has been associated with teaching since the early 1740s, when physicians and surgeons were permitted to take...

28-30 Osborn Street

30 Osborn Street | Survey of London

The group at 26–30 Osborn Street has early nineteenth-century origins. The Tower Hamlets Savings Bank, formed in 1819, was based at wh...

21 and 23 Whitechapel Road

21 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This was the site of the Green Dragon Inn, next to the Nag's Head Inn, like which it was both a coaching establishment and of early an...

2–20 Spelman Street, 24–28 Chicksand Street, 11–29 Casson Street and 25–27 Monthorpe Road

17 Casson Street | Survey of London

This block, once divided north–south by Little Halifax (Tailforth) Street, was redeveloped in 1900–03 as a distinctively homogenous co...

191 Whitechapel Road (demolished)

191-193 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

In 1840 the shophouse on this site was taken by Henry William Wainwright, a brushmaker. By 1861 his son of the same name, age 22, had ...

81 New Road, c. late 1970s

81 New Road | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide of the former Duke of Gloucester public house from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="ht...

German Mission Day School, 17 Leman Street (1861-1897)

Leman Street Apart-Hotel | Survey of London

Opening in 1861, the German Mission Day School replaced an eighteenth-century tenement and family-run bakery. The purpose-built school...

The Pavilion Theatre (demolished)

191-193 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

The site of 191-193 Whitechapel Road has been an empty frontage for more than half a century, but it and the land behind occupy a plac...

Maddock tomb

Altab Ali Park, including the site of the parish church of St Mary Matfelon | Survey of London

This chest tomb for the Maddock family (timber merchants on Rosemary Lane and Well Street) is a stout early nineteenth century monumen...

Residents' campaign to save Treves House and Lister House, 2017

Treves House, Vallance Road | Survey of London

Three long-term residents of Treves House and Lister House from varied backgrounds are fighting plans being considered by Tower Hamlet...

1-13 Vallance Road

3 Vallance Road | Survey of London

Land near here along what is now Old Montague Street was occupied by a Robert Baker in 1707. This may have to do with the origin of th...

Former LCC school, c. 1960s

6 Durward Street | Survey of London

The south (Winthrop Street) front of the former LCC Board from a digitised colour slide in the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: ...

Gwynne House, Turner Street

Gwynne House | Survey of London

Gwynne House stands at the north-west corner of the Turner Street and Newark Street crossing in bold contrast to its contemporary neo-...

Former Outpatients Annexe, Stepney Way

Outpatients Annexe | Survey of London

The former Outpatients Annexe of the Royal London Hospital stands at the north-east corner of the junction between New Road and Stepne...

Albany Court

Albany Court, 18-25 Plumbers Row | Survey of London

In keeping with post-war redevelopment plans that zoned this district for industry a three-storey workshops block was erected on this ...

Hopetown Estate (now part of the Chicksand Estate)

14-36 Frostic Walk | Survey of London

This housing estate, named after the Salvation Army's women's hostel that stood on the south side of Chicksand Street from 1931 to 198...

View west on Grace's Alley, 1964

Wilton's Music Hall | Survey of London

A view of 2 Grace's Alley, now part of Wilton's Music Hall, when in use as a rag merchant, a digitised colour slide from the Tower Ham...

Davenant Street Development (now part of Chicksand Estate)

194-212 Old Montague Street | Survey of London

The south side of the east end of Old Montague Street, former Rowland land that had largely come to the parish, was first built up in ...

North side of North Tenter Street, 1973

8-10 North Tenter Street | Survey of London

A slide of 5 and 8 St Mark Street, 8-10 Tenter Street and the building that preceded Symons House adjoining, in 1973, from a digitised...

Phoenix Hall (demolished), 1971

London Enterprise Academy (formerly Aneurin Bevan House), 81-91 Commercial Road | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/76296654...

The Prince of Orange

Maryam Centre, East London Mosque, Fieldgate Street | Survey of London

from Mark Dunn: The Prince of Orange was a public house, in existence from at least 1797 to 1863 when its site was incorporate...

memories happy and tragic of Hughes Mansions

Hughes Mansions | Survey of London

From Joe Swinburne, b. 1923: Hughes Mansions were completed in 1929 and comprised three blocks of flats that were well appoint...

Mount Terrace

34 Mount Terrace | Survey of London

The terrace which extends east from New Road to the northern tip of Turner Street owes its name to Whitechapel Mount, an artificial hi...

The Alexandra Wing, 1864–6 (demolished)

The Royal London Dental Hospital | Survey of London

As east London expanded into Essex, the London Hospital was inundated with increasing numbers of patients arriving from the local area...

View of Old Montague Street, 1971

Hopetown | Survey of London

This slide, below, from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection, shows the south side of Old Montague Street lin 1971 looking westwards ...

London College of Furniture, 1971

London Metropolitan University | Survey of London

A view of the London College of Furniture building, later part of London Metropolitan University, from a digitised colour slide in the...

The Bell Foundry and 36 Whitechapel Road, 1960s

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide (from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection) of the frontage of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, with No 36 Whit...

Whitechapel Road and the market in 1975

Whitechapel Market, Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide of the market in 1975 from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHAr...

16-18 Whitechapel Road

16-18 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A warehouse of 1852 here became a cigar factory in the 1890s. The site was redeveloped in 1938–9 to house a five-storey factory for Bu...

Albion Brewery building during the dustmen's strike of 1979

Albion Yard | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from Tower Hamlets Archives collection <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/8061294404052...

The Crown and Seven Stars, 1975

The Artful Dodger (formerly the Crown and Seven Stars) | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection showing the Artful Dodger when it was still the Crown and Seven St...

Whitechapel Bell Foundry in 1971

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

Another slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/805010230383955969"...

Miss Muff's molly house

Black Lion House | Survey of London

In 1728 Black Lion Yard was the site of the house of one Jonathan Muff, which he ran as a Molly house, a resort for gay men and transv...

William Forster's house of c.1750 and subsequent developments at 25 Whitechapel Road

25 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

In a section of Whitechapel Road that had many inns, taverns and beer-houses in the early eighteenth century, the Angel and Still was ...

The Nag's Head, 17-19 Whitechapel Road

The Nag's Head, 17-19 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

The Nag’s Head Inn has early origins, how early remains unclear, but it was certainly on its present site by 1703, possibly long since...

West wing and east wing extensions, 1830–42

Former Royal London Hospital | Survey of London

Plans for the first substantial enlargement to the London Hospital arose in 1830 in response to rising patient numbers, a by-product o...

Miss Muff's Molly House

Magenta House | Survey of London

In 1728 Black Lion Yard was the site of the house of one Jonathan Muff, which he ran as a Molly house, a resort for gay men and transv...

Former Outpatients Department, Stepney Way

Outpatients Department | Survey of London

The north-west corner of the junction between Turner Street and Stepney Way is dominated by the former Outpatients Department of the R...

27 Whitechapel Road

27 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This building of 1926–7 was erected to designs by Higgins &amp; Thomerson, architects, and first occupied in part by Isaac Woolf Silbe...

29 Whitechapel Road

29 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

No. 29 Whitechapel Road was built with a workshop to the rear in 1891 after a recently erected predecessor was destroyed by fire. It w...

S. Schneider & Son, Cavell Street, 1970s

100-136 Cavell Street | Survey of London

This undated slide, from the Tower Hamlets Archives Collection, is looking north past what was then the premises of S. Schneider &amp;...

Developments from 1784

St Boniface German Church, 47 Adler Street | Survey of London

Under Holloway’s ownership streets were laid out from 1784 with more than 150 small two- and three-storey houses, up by the 1790s on l...

The Mulberry Gardens

St Boniface German Church, 47 Adler Street | Survey of London

An approximately four-acre quadrilateral of ground lying west of present-day Plumbers Row and extending south from the Pierrepoint/Bay...

24-26 Whitechapel Road

24 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

An early timber-framed and jettied three-storey pair here was gutted by fire on 20 August 1893. For reconstruction the landlord, Fasha...

Old Montague Street, 1966

1 King's Arms Court | Survey of London

This view westwards along Old Montague Street from No 42, on the left, the site of the Chevrah Shass synagogue, is from a slide taken ...

St Paul’s German Reformed Church

part of Calcutta House | Survey of London

Founded in 1697, St Paul’s Reformed Church was London’s third oldest German evangelical congregation. In 1771 the church removed from ...

The Goulston Estate, 1678-1776

part of Calcutta House | Survey of London

Son of William Megges III’s younger sister Alice, Sir William Goulston (c.1641-1688, knighted 1680) became a London merchant and activ...

45 to 85 Whitechapel Road - early history including King's Arms Court and Black Lion Yard

Black Lion House | Survey of London

The original Black Lion House (on the site that was later that of 37 Whitechapel Road) was with adjacent properties h...

Colonial House (1942-c.1958)

Leman Street Apart-Hotel | Survey of London

‘There is excellent provision both by official and voluntary funds for seamen on shore, but though hostels with fine premises exis...

Albion Brewery, 1970s

Albion Yard | Survey of London

An undated digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status...

12-20 Old Montague Street and Green Dragon Yard

Green Dragon Yard | Survey of London

Green Dragon Yard was cleared after extensive bomb damage. A single-storey warehouse went up on its west side in 1961 and was raised i...

From Black Lion House to Magenta House, 45-85 Whitechapel Road and Greatorex Street

Black Lion House | Survey of London

The Whitechapel Road frontage that was formerly numbered Nos 31–95 (as far east as Greatorex Street) is unified by a story of post-war...

The Archers public house, 42 Osborn Street

The Archers public house, 42 Osborn Street | Survey of London

The Archers public house was at the Old Montague Street corner by 1821, and may well date back to the 1780s when Osborn Street was for...

Green Dragon Yard - early history

Green Dragon Yard | Survey of London

Roman pottery was found on the Green Dragon Yard site. The name derives from an early inn, the Green Dragon on the site of 21 and 23 W...

13-15 Greatorex Street with 80 Old Montague Street, including the former Morris Kasler Hall (kosher luncheon club)

13-15 Greatorex Street with 80 Old Montague Street | Survey of London

This site was acquired by the adjacent Great Garden Street Synagogue by 1935 when Messrs Joseph, architects, prepared plans for two bu...

The Good Samaritan Public House, 85–87 Turner Street

The Good Samaritan Public House | Survey of London

The Good Samaritan Public House probably owes its name to the London Hospital, which incorporated a representation of the City of Lond...

How we use the London Enterprise Academy, by the students of Years 7 and 9

London Enterprise Academy (formerly Aneurin Bevan House), 81-91 Commercial Road | Survey of London

The most important rooms to us are the canteen and the sports hall. Aaqil likes the canteen because you can eat there and socialise, t...

Peter Martineau's Sugarhouse

20-27 Wentworth Dwellings | Survey of London

The sugar refining industry in England began in the 1540s when Cornelius Bussine, a citizen of Antwerp with knowledge of the ‘secret’ ...

former school (demolished), corner of Buckle Street and Leman Street, 1967

Leman Street Apart-Hotel | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/78150214...

Chicksand Street’s schools and Hopetown

14-36 Frostic Walk | Survey of London

The westernmost section of what had been Francis George March Desanges’s silk-dying works on the north side of Chicksand Street was ad...

2-6 Old Montague Street

2-6 Old Montague Street | Survey of London

Two-storey buildings on this site were replaced in 1904–5 in their present form – three storeys with plain brick fronts, shops under d...

Whitechapel Road and the market, 1975

Whitechapel Market, Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A digitised colour slide form the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/7...

King's Arms Court

2 King's Arms Court | Survey of London

King’s Arms Court has two four- to five-storey largely white-faced blocks on its west side, an affordable housing project of 2007–9 on...

Wentworths and Woodlands

part of Calcutta House | Survey of London

Although much has been made of the genteel character of suburbs further east, sixteenth and seventeenth century Whitechapel was not wi...

Constructing ‘Megses Glorie’

part of Calcutta House | Survey of London

Regarding the Whitechapel area in 1598, John Stow described a steep upward curve of building just outside London’s city walls to the e...

William Megges the younger and William Megges III

part of Calcutta House | Survey of London

William Megges the younger (c.1557 – 1621) took possession of the Harte’s Horne on his mother’s death in the first decade of the seven...

Former nursery to rear of 12-20 Osborn Street

Car park at 8-10 Old Montague Street, with building behind the Nag's Head, 17-19 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

Within a year or so of the opening of the clothing factory at 12-20 Osborn Street in 1961 a day nursery for the children of the factor...

11-15 Casson Street

11-15 Casson Street | Survey of London

The building at 11–15 Casson Street is of 1987–8, three three-storey neo-Georgian brick single-family houses for the Bangladeshi-led S...

Spelman House

Spelman House | Survey of London

Spelman House was built in 1939 for the London County Council on land that had been acquired but not used for extension of Chicksand S...

Kirstein's Mansions, 34-40 White Church Lane

Kirstein's Mansions | Survey of London

A house and shop at 34 Church Lane were the premises of Henry Bear, a tobacco manufacturer, from the 1840s to the 1880s. He evidently ...

Demolished buildings on the east side of Ensign Street, 1964

Shapla Primary School | Survey of London

A view west to Grace's Alley in 1964, showing demolished buildings on the site of Shapla Primary school and the former Brunswick Marit...

20-22 Whitechapel Road

20-22 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

There were coach-makers on this site and a yard behind through the eighteenth century up to the 1860s. John McCall, a Houndsditch prov...

One Braham

Maersk House | Survey of London

Standing aloof on pedestrianised Braham Street (since 2012 known as Braham Park), Maersk House faces imminent demolition in March 2017...

King's Arms Court (early history)

2 King's Arms Court | Survey of London

In the early eighteenth century, the King’s Arms public house was at the site of Nos 55–57, where King’s Arms Court (originally Coles ...

King's Arms Court

1 King's Arms Court | Survey of London

King’s Arms Court has two four- to five-storey largely white-faced blocks on its west side, an affordable housing project of 2007–9 on...

King's Arms Court (early history)

1 King's Arms Court | Survey of London

In the early eighteenth century, the King’s Arms public house was at the site of Nos 55–57, where King’s Arms Court (originally Coles ...

17 White Church Lane

17 White Church Lane | Survey of London

The upper storeys were built around 1840 for Charles Marshall, a veterinary surgeon and farrier. There is first-floor blind arcading i...

Chicksand Street to Old Montague Street - early history

14-36 Frostic Walk | Survey of London

The rectangle of Whitechapel parish that projects north of Old Montague Street as far as Chicksand Street was part of the Halifax or O...

40 Osborn Street

40 Osborn Street | Survey of London

Built 1903–4 as a house, shop and warehouse for H. O. Ellis who was also the architect, with M. Calnan &amp; Co. as his builder. There...

Hopetown, 60 Old Montague Street

Hopetown | Survey of London

The Salvation Army’s women’s hostel on the south side of Chicksand Street known as Hopetown moved to Old Montague Street to make way f...

Alie Street Synagogue, 1971

Central House | Survey of London

A view of Alie Street Synagogue and adjoining buildings, now demolished, from a colour slide in Tower Local History Library and Archiv...

Bollards on Alie Street, 1984

St George’s German Lutheran Church | Survey of London

This photograph by Jean Thomas, bollard enthusiast, was taken in 1984 and is now in Tower Hamlets Archives. It is looking east along A...

Morrison Buildings, 35A Commercial Road

Morrison Buildings North, 35a Commercial Road | Survey of London

This block of dwellings was built in 1873–4 for the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company, which often took plots generated by street ...

1 Whitechapel Road and 2-8 Osborn Street

1 Whitechapel Road (including 2-8 Osborn Street) | Survey of London

A large Second World War bombsite at the Whitechapel Road/Osborn Street corner saw temporary post-war use by stallholders. The four-st...

E1 Studios (formerly Neil House), 3-15 Whitechapel Road

E1 Studios (formerly Neil House), 3-15 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This seven-storey speculative block was built in 1967–8 to be warehousing and showrooms over shops, to designs by Carl Fisher &amp; As...

4-8 Whitechapel Road

4-8 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

Charles Webster had this site as part of the George Livery Stables from the mid nineteenth-century with a handsome stone-faced front b...

Sufia Alam's recollections of working at the Jagonari Women's Centre

Former Jagonari Women's Centre, 183-185 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

I started at the Wapping Womens’ Centre in 2009…. And I was also a senior manager at the Jagonari Centre in the bigger projects, which...

11-15 White Church Lane

11 White Church Lane | Survey of London

Three shops and houses of 1915–17, Joseph &amp; Smithem, architects, built by M. Zetlin for Mrs Lederman of Colchester Street on a bui...

151 Whitechapel Road

151 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

An imposing row of thirteen shophouses (later Nos 151–175) was built on the site of Whitechapel workhouse in 1860–2. This four-storey ...

Booth House, Salvation Army Lifehouse, 153-175 Whitechapel Road

Booth House | Survey of London

From 1614 this was the site of a parish burial ground and almshouses (described elsewhere). The workhouse was replaced in 1860–2 by an...

Alan Hughes interview

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

"The facade has had very little done with it over the years… even if you look at the brickwork today you’ll see that the brickwork acr...

North side of Wellclose Square, 1967

George Leybourne House | Survey of London

This digitised colour slide from the Tower Hamlets Archives collection shows the side of George Leybourne House just visible on the le...

Victoria Home, Salvation Army Lifehouse, 177 Whitechapel Road

Victoria Court (Salvation Army Lifehouse), 177 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

The frontage at 177 Whitechapel Road was open until the 1890s. A yard to the rear (behind the sites of Nos 163–175), once part of the ...

Public lavatory and cattle trough at the south end of Leman Street, 1967

Pier in middle of Leman Street | Survey of London

This colour slide is from the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives, and shows the 1920s entrance to the public lavatories built ag...

North side of Whitechapel Road at the junction with Greatorex Street, 1971

107 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

A colour slide from the collection of the Tower Hamlets Archives: <a href="https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/75069747983...

The first Davenant School

Davenant Youth Centre (former Davenant School | Survey of London

An undemonstrative road-side building of 1818 and a showy but concealed rear addition of 1895 are all that is left standing in Whitech...

St Mary Street School

Davenant Youth Centre (former Davenant School | Survey of London

The Whitechapel Society for the Education of the Poor was formed in September 1812 as an early branch of the National Society (see abo...

Foundation School enlargement and later history

Davenant Youth Centre (former Davenant School | Survey of London

Alterations and enlargement of the Davenant School in the 1890s were occasioned by changes to the wider administrative framework for e...

The Davenant Centre

Davenant Youth Centre (former Davenant School | Survey of London

A scheme for refurbishment of the two surviving school buildings to be a community centre emerged from the GLC in 1984. In a project s...

The Davenant School rebuilt

Davenant Youth Centre (former Davenant School | Survey of London

Rebuilding of the original schools of the 1680s by the Charity School Trustees followed hard on the heels of the opening of the Nation...

97-99 Whitechapel Road

Islamic Bank of Britain, 97-99 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This was the site of the Dolphin public house by the early nineteenth century. The premises were rebuilt in 1927–8 for the Commercial ...

103 Whitechapel Road

103 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

No. 103 Whitechapel Road is a single-bay, three-storey and attic building with a gambrel roof that may date in large measure to 1848 w...

William Rowland's market garden and other early history

Former Jagonari Women's Centre, 183-185 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

William Rowland was a market gardener in Whitechapel by 1637 when, age 35, he married Frances Roberts of the parish. In 1639 Rowland t...

Former Jagonari Women's Centre, 183-185 Whitechapel Road

Former Jagonari Women's Centre, 183-185 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This four-storey stock-brick faced building of 1984–7 was designed by and for women as part of the wider Davenant Centre project that ...

101 Whitechapel Road

101 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

Until recently this shophouse of c.1815 had only two storeys. In 1937 Adolf Cohen took the premises, long occupied by bootmak...

105-113 Whitechapel Road

105 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

105–113 Whitechapel Road are three-storey and garret two-bay shophouses that have origins of about 1816–18, probably as a development ...

The London Hospital Dental Institute and Students’ Union, Stepney Way

Dental Hospital and Institute of Dentistry | Survey of London

The area bounded by Stepney Way, Turner Street, Newark Street and New Road is dominated by the former London Hospital Dental Institute...

187 Whitechapel Road

187 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

William Rowland was a market gardener in Whitechapel by 1637 when, age 35, he married Frances Roberts of the parish. In 1639 Rowland t...

115-121 Whitechapel Road

115 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

Francis Newham, a grocer, took occupation of the building on the site of No. 121 in the 1750s. He replaced Cross Key Alley to the rear...

The early history of the Royal London Hospital, 1740–1800

Former Royal London Hospital | Survey of London

Foundation The Royal London Hospital traces its beginnings to 23 September 1740, when seven men met at a tavern in ...

123 and 125 Whitechapel Road

123-125 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This is the earliest building in this stretch of Whitechapel Road with early eighteenth-century origins. No. 123, three bays wide, fro...

The Blue Anchor public house

Bar Indo (formerly the Blue Anchor Public House), 133 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

There has been a pub here since at least the eighteenth century, probably earlier. Until the late 1760s it was known as the David and ...

189 Whitechapel Road

189 Whitechapel ROad | Survey of London

An earlier house on this site was probably rebuilt as a roomy shop around 1827–8 for Hugh McDevitt and George Moffett, linen drapers. ...

4-6 Greatorex Street

Clifton Trade Centre, 4-6 Greatorex Street | Survey of London

There were two houses here from the early 1770s. A warehouse with a hipped roof was added to the rear in 1849–50 for Henry Nathan, a l...

8-10 Greatorex Street

Greatorex Business Centre, 8-10 Greatorex Street | Survey of London

Paul Turquand built a sugarhouse on this large and deep site in 1757. The premises expanded and were taken by George Lear &amp; Co. (l...

4-6 Davenant Street

The Denim Factory, 4-6 Davenant Street | Survey of London

In the early nineteenth century this site was an open yard, for coaches and with stables, south of which there was a brewery (the Whit...

7-8 Davenant Street

7-8 Davenant Street | Survey of London

A sugarhouse on this site pertained to James Ballinger from 1811. It appears soon to have been adapted to use as a slaughterhouse, hel...

9 Davenant Street

9 Davenant Street | Survey of London

The east end of the former ropewalk that had otherwise been taken by Ind, Coope &amp; Co. was developed by Daniel Luke Moss, a Fieldga...

Brief history of a 'Maritime Establishment'

Wombat's (Aldgate Hostel), 7 Dock Street | Survey of London

Built in 1830-5 facing Ensign Street as the Brunswick Maritime Establishment, the early sailors' home formerly on this site was extend...

193A-195 Whitechapel Road

193B Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

In the early nineteenth century there were seven small shophouses east of the site of the Pavilion Theatre’s entrance passage up to th...

Notes on the Mission site

Whitechapel Mission | Survey of London

Constructed c.1971 to designs by Lee Reading &amp; Associates, 212 Whitechapel Road has long been associated with the <a href="https:/...


58-70 Old Montague Street and Black Lion Yard, 1922

Hopetown | Survey of London

This photograph of 1922, taken by an unknown amateur photographer, shows the south side of Old Montague Street, from No 58 (at the right,...

Interior view of the foundry workshop

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

The workshop was extended in 1970? through the incorporation of the adjacent site...and so on

29-33 Whitechapel Road, 1935

29 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

This photograph by an unknown, probably amateur, photographer shows 29, 31 and 33 Whitechapel Road in 1935, the bunting presumably up for...

10-12 Whitechapel Road, 1935

10 Whitechapel Road | Survey of London

Detail from a photograph taken of the procession of King George V and Queen Mary along Whitechapel Road for the Silver Jubilee celebratio...

Wycliffe Chapel, later Philpot Street Great Synagogue, c. 1905

John Harrison House | Survey of London

This photograph shows the Wycliffe Chapel, a congregational church built in 1831 on the portion of Philpot Street that was turned into ga...

Memories of A Kid for Two Farthings (1955) being filmed in Whitechapel

Petticoat Lane Market | Survey of London

Carol Fisher (74) recalls the filming in Wentworth Street of the film A Kid for Two Farthings (1955): "I vividly remember A Kid for Two ...

The ruin of St Paul's German church in 1960, shortly before demolition

part of Calcutta House | Survey of London

This view of part of Petticoat Lane market looking north up Goulston Street shows a glimpse at the right of the ruin of St Paul's church...

Camperdown House in 1913

Camperdown House | Survey of London

Brochure to mark opening of the house. More info here: http://www.jewsfww.london/a-good-jew-and-a-good-englishman-167.php#

Film still of Jews' Temporary Shelter, 1938

63 Mansell Street | Survey of London

Eight minute film of life at the Shelter: https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn1000726

Whitechapel Fire Station

Whitechapel Fire Station | Survey of London

ground and first floor plans as in 1975 (drawing by Helen Jones)

Ground plan of the Outpatients Department, 1903

Outpatients Department | Survey of London

Ground plan of the Outpatients Department, redrawn by Helen Jones from a plan printed in 'The Lancet', June 1903.

Plans of the ground and first floors of the London Hospital

Former Royal London Hospital | Survey of London

Drawing by Helen Jones based on Boulton Mainwaring's designs, as engraved by John Tinney in 1752.

View of Old Montague Street in 1967

Don Gratton House, Alma Home, Greatorex Street Young People's Centre and Institute of Psychotrauma | Survey of London

A still from the 1967 documentary, The London Nobody Knows, showing Spring Walk on the left, with pauline House beyond, and on the right ...

Kirstein's Mansions in 1965

Kirstein's Mansions | Survey of London

Kirstein's Mansions can be seen on the left, beside 29-31a Commercial Road, a photograph in Tower Hamlets Archives from Tower Hamlets Pho...

29-31a Commercial Road in 1965

Fresh, 29 Commercial Road | Survey of London

from Tower Hamlets Archives from Tower Hamlets Photo Archive 1960s and 1970s album on Facebook

Whitechapel Bell Foundry, ground-floor plan in 2016

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

Drawing by Helen Jones based on measured survey and archives (work in progress)

St Mary Matfelon, c. 1920

Altab Ali Park, including the site of the parish church of St Mary Matfelon | Survey of London

This photograph, by an unknown amateur photographer, of the north side of the church was taken from, perhaps, 31 Whitechapel Road. The da...


A Tour of Whitechapel Bell Foundry

Whitechapel Bell Foundry | Survey of London

Meet Alan Hughes whose family has been casting bells in East London since 1884.


Mail Rail to open to the public 2017

East London Mail Centre and E1 Delivery Office | Survey of London

The Post Office Museum, at Mount Pleasant, Clerkenwell, is about to reopen (July 2017) and visitors will be able to ride a section of the...