30 Osborn Street

shophouse of c.1840 used as Tower Hamlets Savings Bank until 1892, converted to ritual bath, reinstated as flats over shop in 1949-50

30 Osborn Street
Contributed by Survey of London on March 30, 2017

A nine-storey sugarhouse was built on the site of 30–34 Osborn Street around 1799 for Josiah Lucas and Henry Martin (d. 1817). It was soon fire-damaged, then when run by Lucas and Son all but destroyed by fire in 1824. The premises and stock were insured to the sum of £28,8828, so were perhaps rebuilt, with Bulmer & Co. as successors in the 1830s.1

The Whitechapel and Tower Hamlets Savings Bank, formed as the Tower Hamlets Savings Bank in 1819, was based at what became No. 30 by 1841 around when Nos 28 and 30 appear to have been rebuilt in part on the site of the sugarhouse. It continued as the Whitechapel and Tower Hamlets Savings Bank until 1892 when the premises were adapted to be a Mikveh_ _(Jewish ritual bath), which use lasted into the 1930s. Nos 28–30 were substantially reconstructed and converted to form flats in 1949–50.2

  1. Bryan Mawer's sugar database: Richard Horwood's maps, 1792–1819: The National Archives, PROB11/1590/43: Bells Weekly Messenger, 9 May 1824, p.150 

  2. London Metropolitan Archives, P93/MRY1/090; MR/S/BS/008: Post Office Directories: Ordnance Survey maps: District Surveyors Returns: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 14722: Jewish Year Book: Tower Hamlets planning applications