Polyteck House

2004–6, shops, offices and flats | Part of Polyteck House

Polyteck House, 143 Leman Street 
Contributed by Survey of London on May 10, 2019

The eighteenth-century house on this site was demolished in 1913. An iron cooper’s shed had been built to its south alongside the railway viaduct in 1894–5. A larger shed extending behind No. 141 was a garage and cart store from the 1920s, with an associated snack bar.1

Greg & Co., electrical and mechanical engineers (G. Gregory and John Polycarpou and Costantine Polycarpou), initiated a redevelopment of 2004–6 that included a five-storey and basement block to the rear to Mill Yard, the proprietorship reincorporated by the Polycarpou brothers in 2005 as Polyteck Building Services Ltd. Papa Architects Ltd (George Kalopedis and Andrew Paps) supplied the designs for ground-floor commercial units, first-floor offices and seven flats above and behind; the owners were their own building contractors.2

  1. London Metropolitan Archives, District Surveyors Returns: Ordnance Survey maps: Goad insurance maps: Post Office Directories 

  2. Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control files 27164, 81263: Tower Hamlets planning applications online