27 Commercial Road

Warehouse of 1872-3, demolished 2016

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Survey of London on June 20, 2016

This four-storey corner warehouse was built in 1872–3 for Edmund Richard Goodrich, an oilman whose premises had been taken for the westwards extension of Commercial Road through Whitechapel. Thomas Ennor was the builder of what was the first building to go up on the new road.1

Shutter painting of 2012 here was by Malarky, Chase and Billy.2

A scheme for redevelopment of Nos 29–37 and 27–27a Commercial Road was prepared in 2012, approved in 2014 and refined in 2016 when the site was cleared. Initiated by Reef Estates Aldgate Ltd, it proposes a 270-bedroom (178-key) apart-hotel in a 21-storey tower to be operated by Motel One, a German firm. The architects are Stock Woolstencroft and the work is being carried out by Ardmore Construction Ltd.3


  1. Metropolitan Board of Works Minutes, 10 Feb. and 11 Aug. 1871, pp. 272,791: District Surveyors Returns: Post Office Directories: Ordnance Survey 1873 

  2. http://blog.globalstreetart.com/walls 

  3. Tower Hamlets Planning 

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall

27 Commercial Road
Contributed by Derek Kendall