112-116 Whitechapel Road

1898-1900, warehouse, now shops with offices

112-116 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Survey of London on April 19, 2018

Varied houses and workshops on this site were replaced by this large five-bay four-storey warehouse block in 1898–1900. Possibly designed by A. E. Christy, it was built by Walter Gladding with wooden floors on iron columns for H. Karet & Son, wholesale ironmongers, who continued here till around 1960. Their premises extended back to Vine Court where there now stands a single- storey range of about 2012 into which small shops have been inserted. The main block houses offices above shops.1

  1. District Surveyors Returns: Post Office Directories: Goad maps: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, L/THL/D/1/1/34: The National Archives, IR58/84804/2143: Ordnance Survey maps 

112-116 Whitechapel Road in March 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall