28 Whitechapel Road

shophouse of 1846, rebuilt 1997 | Part of 28-30 Whitechapel Road

28-30 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Survey of London on June 27, 2016

This pair of shophouses was built in 1846 for John Turner, by Little and Sons, local builders at Size Yard. The first occupants of the shops were William Platt, a cabinet maker, and William Hooper, a butcher. In the early years of the twentieth century Morris Datzkovsky & Co., wine merchants, and William Minn, ironmonger, were here. Buck & Hickman Ltd, toolmakers, had No. 30 by 1928. The premises were listed in 1973, but had fallen into a state of dilapidation by 1980, No. 30 gutted internally and shored up at the front by 1991. The owner, K. S. Sidhu of Kay Textiles and Kewal Investments, agreed a refurbishment scheme, his architect being Peter Black of Scott Brownrigg & Turner (later the Barlow Black Partnership). In the event Black oversaw complete rebuilding in 1997. 1


  1. District Surveyors Returns: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control Files 41849, 41851 and 42717: Tower Hamlets Planning 

28-34 Whitechapel Road, April 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall