29 Whitechapel Road

1891, built by and for Mark Levy as tailoring premises above and behind a draper's shop

29 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Survey of London on March 29, 2017

No. 29 Whitechapel Road was built with a workshop to the rear in 1891 after a recently erected predecessor was destroyed by fire. It was put up by and for Mark Levy of Fulham and occupied by tailors/ladies costume makers behind a draper’s shop. There was tailoring on the upper storeys, and in the back workshop a sewing and ironing room. Around 1905 there were 72 people employed on the premises. The rear workshop was raised a storey for dressmaking over offices in 1931–2 for D. Silverstein, with Higgins & Thomerson as architects.1


  1. District Surveyors Returns: Post Office Directories: The Builder, 26 October 1878, p. 1131: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 15915 

29-33 Whitechapel Road, 1935
Contributed by Survey of London