103 Whitechapel Road

rebuilt in 1848 and 2006-7, flats over shop

103 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 2, 2017

No. 103 Whitechapel Road is a single-bay, three-storey and attic building with a gambrel roof that may date in large measure to 1848 when George Furby, the resident ironmonger and hardware merchant, was obliged to rebuild after a fire. There was further rebuilding in 1921–2. A flat conversion in 2005–7 was carried out by Hutton Enterprises acting as architectural consultants for Ajay and Arwin Taheam of Zeco Ltd.1


  1. District Surveyors Returns: Post Office Directories: Tower Hamlets planning applications online 

Themes