108 Whitechapel Road

1860s shophouse with builder's yard to rear | Part of 108 Whitechapel Road

108 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Survey of London on April 19, 2018

Thomas and James Jennings, plumbers, were probably responsible for erecting this building in place of its set-back eighteenth-century predecessor in the 1860s when they took occupancy of the site. James Jennings, a locally prolific builder/contractor, was based here with a small builders’ yard to the rear up to the First World War. The upper-storey window openings in the stuccoed façade, incised as ashlar, were altered in 1937. The yard had been built over and a two-storey warehouse to the rear on Vine Court was rebuilt in 1922–3, for David Taub, a woollens merchant, the occupant and freeholder. The rear block was rebuilt again in 1960–3 for Alfred Cox Ltd, makers of surgical and orthopaedic appliances.1

  1. Post Office Directories: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 41898; P33681: District Surveyors Returns 


Similar Places