Davenant Youth Centre (former Davenant School)

charity school of 1686, rebuilt in 1818, adapted to be a community centre in 1985-7 and for offices in 2005-6 | Part of Davenant School

The first Davenant School
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 24, 2017

An undemonstrative road-side building of 1818 and a showy but concealed rear addition of 1895 are all that is left standing in Whitechapel to represent a significant educational history. Tenuously sustained by a youth centre that perpetuated the name Davenant, this spans more than three centuries and a site that extended to Davenant Street and Old Montague Street.

Block plan showing Davenant and related school buildings and principal nearby sites as in 1953 (buildings of 2016 in grey)

Under Ralph Davenant, the Rector who oversaw the rebuilding of Whitechapel’s parish church in the 1670s, planning for a school for the poor children of Whitechapel began in earnest in 1680, possibly following up an idea conceived by Davenant’s predecessor and father-in-law John Johnson. Johnson’s daughters, Mary (Davenant’s wife) and Sarah Gullifer, endowed two of three shares of an estate in Essex (Sandon, near Great Baddow) to be overseen by a newly formed body of trustees to maintain the school. Davenant died in 1681 and his will directed that £200 he was owed go directly to the building of the school, and that his goods be sold after Mary’s death to raise money to see the plan through.1

Mary lived on and the trustees struggled at first to find a site. However, the easterly stretches of Whitechapel Road were comparatively open in the 1680s and the parish held a large plot on the north side for almshouses and a burial ground (see above). The easternmost part of this land, a frontage of 50ft, was given up for the school in 1686 and building work ensued. Endowments proved insufficient and in 1701 an anonymous benefactor gave £1000 to clothe as well as educate the children at the ‘School House of Whitechappel Town’s End’. In 1705 the Rev. Richard Welton invested this money in Thames-side land at East Tilbury.2

The schools building of the 1680s was a brick range with a seven-bay front, a single full storey with pairs of hipped dormers in a hipped roof flanking a pedimental centrepiece, all set behind a forecourt garden and enclosing brick wall. The main room on the west side was for the teaching of forty boys, that on the east for thirty girls, above were living spaces for the master and mistress. A single central doorway gave on to an open passage through to a garden at the back, the schoolrooms evidently entered from the sides of this passage. An aedicular niche above the main entrance rising up to the open pediment is said to have stood empty until the late eighteenth century, awaiting a figure of Davenant for which funds never stretched. Samuel Hawkins, the school’s Treasurer, then acquired and saw to the painting of a scrapped wooden statue of a figure in clerical dress to make up the deficit. There were further benefactions and by the 1790s the premises, already enlarged westwards after 1767, had been extended at the back.3

The first Davenant School of the 1680s (from Robert Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata, 1819)

In early 1806 the Trustees decided to double the number of children and a shed and ‘dust-bin’ behind the school were converted to form an additional schoolroom. Anticipating the increased attendance, one of the Trustees, William Davis (1767–1854), the co-proprietor of a sugarhouse on Rupert Street who was to go on to found the Gower’s Walk ‘school of industry’ in 1807–8, saw to it that the Rev. Andrew Bell was invited to Whitechapel to introduce his monitorial (Madras) system of education which had as yet made limited impact. Bell attended the school daily in September 1806 and with Davis’s fervent support and the employment of a trained assistant, Louis Warren, age 13, and then a schoolmaster (a Mr Gover), both from Bell’s base in Swanage, they successfully established a showpiece in Whitechapel for wider evangelisation of the benefits of Bell’s monitorial system. This gained influential Anglican support and led in late 1811 to the foundation of the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church in England and Wales. This episode has caused the Davenant School to be hailed as the ‘cradle of the “National” schools of England’.4


  1. The National Archives (hereafter TNA), PROB11/365/312: London Metropolitan Archives (hereafter LMA), A/DAV/01/013, No. 37: Roland Reynolds, The History of the Davenant Foundation Grammar School, 1966, pp.6–7 

  2. LMA, A/DAV/01/002–6; DL/A/A/021/MS09532/001, f. 8v: Victoria County History Middlesex, vol. 1, 1969, pp. 293–4: Reynolds, pp.12–14 

  3. Robert Wilkinson, Londina Illustrata, vol. 1, 1819, pp. 139–40: LMA, Collage 22182: Reynolds, pp.18,29: Richard Horwood's map, 1813 

  4. LMA, P93/MRY1/090; Wilkinson, loc. cit., p. 140: Annual Report of the National Society etc, 1813, pp. 39–40: VCH, loc. cit.: Charles Cuthbert Southey, The Life of the Rev. Andrew Bell, vol. 2, 1844, pp. 163–175: Bryan Mawer's sugar industry website for William Davis: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography for Andrew Bell: Reynolds, pp. 27–35 

The Davenant School rebuilt
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 24, 2017

Rebuilding of the original schools of the 1680s by the Charity School Trustees followed hard on the heels of the opening of the National School. Larger premises were wanted to accommodate 100 boys and 100 girls, again for the application of Bell’s system. The funding of this project had been given a start by Samuel Hawkins, who had donated £600 in 1808 towards the building of a new school, and a coachbuilder called Lewis (possibly Thomas Lewis, a coach- master of 45 Leman Street), who gave £500 in 1817. Mathias was still the Rector and the Treasurer for the trustees was Luke Flood (1738–1818), a painter, corn chandler and corrupt magistrate and commissioner of sewers who had premises on Whitechapel Road (on the site of No. 57). Flood left £1000 to the school when he died in February 1818, this the most munificent of the period’s gifts. Flood’s son-in-law was the architect Samuel Page who had been acting as a surveyor for the parish since at least 1807. Around 1813 Page was also involved in securing an improved endowment for the school. It seems likely that he was charged with designing the school building; it is a characteristically sub-Soanian work. He was probably working with Thomas Barnes, the local bricklayer and builder, another trustee and commissioner of sewers who contributed £100 to the fund in 1818. Major Rohde, the Leman Street sugar refiner, was also a Trustee. Another was William Davis, who succeeded Flood as Treasurer. The foundation stone was laid in June 1818 by the Duke of York; completion evidently followed quickly.1

The two-storey and basement five-bay yellow stock-brick building, roughly square on plan, was laid out to align with the workhouse. It originally had steps up at a central entrance to a raised ground floor, with a deeper railed area in front of the basement, and a dedicatory stone plaque in a blind arch above the entrance. There was a central staircase and a single classroom to each side on each of the main storeys. In the 1860s, after outbuildings to the west were given up, two blocks were built in the yard for boys, the front range being given over to the girls. The plaque had been taken down before major changes in the mid 1890s that were part of a thorough reformation (see the account of the Foundation School). The steps and the staircase were removed with the railings pushed back for a ground floor at pavement level for improved access to new buildings behind – a return to the open passage arrangement of the 1680s. The tympanum of the entrance arch gained a foliate terracotta panel (lost around 1980) and the legend above was changed from DAVENANT-SCHOOL to THE FOUNDATION SCHOOL in 1896, retaining WHITECHAPEL SCHOOL on the central blocking-course parapet above. The schoolrooms were converted in the 1890s to be a chemical laboratory and two workshops, a lecture room, library and dining room, with caretaker’s quarters.2

The former Davenant School at 179 Whitechapel Road in 2017 (photograph by Derek Kendall)


  1. LMA, Land Tax returns; A/DAV/01/012; E/BN/087: TNA, PROB11/1601/95: Ancestry: Post Office Directories: Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 3rd edition, 1995, p. 720: East London Observer, 27 April 1935: Wilkinson, loc. cit., p. 140: Reynolds, pp. 24,32–3: Julian Woodford, The Boss of Bethnal Green: Joseph Merceron, the Godfather of Regency London, 2016, p. 107 

  2. District Surveyors Returns: Wilkinson, loc. cit., p. 140: Ordnance Survey map 1873: The Builder, 8 May 1886, p. 698: LMA, A/DAV/02/005: TNA, ED27/3238: Reynolds, pp. 76–78: Historic England, London Region photographs 

Davenant Foundation Grammar School
Contributed by david on March 30, 2017

I went to school here. The school moved to Loughton, Essex in September 1965. The School was founded by Rev. Ralph Davenant who was the Rector of St Mary Matfelon which was situated where Altab Ali Park is today.

Staff at Davenant in the 1950s and 60s
Contributed by StepneyBoy on May 21, 2017

The Headmaster's name was Mr A E Philpot when I attended 1957-1964. The Physics teacher was Mr Fyson. School prize days were held at the Queen Mary College in Mile End. School sports days were a coach ride away in Becontree (I think).

Davenant Foundation Grammar School
Contributed by harry on July 31, 2017

I attended Davenant from about 1957 - 1961, leaving at age 15 before taking any GCEs. My dad had got me a printing apprenticeship at St Clements Press (opposite St Paul's Cathedral).  We lived in Clapton so were not Whitechapel people (originally lived in Dalston) and I had a long daily bus ride (on the 53) to get there and back.  I chose Davenant in preference to the brand new Woodberry Down Comprehensive.  The  formal culture of Davenant was a bit of a shock after the very caring atmosphere at Southwold Primary and I never really took to it. Several of the teachers wore gowns but others were more human. Although founded as a Christian school, by the 1950s there was a large Jewish contingent who had to endure Christian hymns and prayers at morning assemblies. Many of us were already atheists so that side of things just washed over us! I enjoyed physics with Mr Fyson, PE with Mr Page, and chemistry with Mr Newton.  The woodwork lessons have proved a boon throughout my life of DIY and I've even occasionally made use of the schoolboy French inculcated by the hated Mr Hughes.  Geoff Clark (of the Stepney & Wapping FB page) has photos of the school and staff of the era.

School Motto
Contributed by david on Oct. 24, 2017

The school motto was 'Tel Grain Tel Pain'

Davenant Foundation School motto
Contributed by michael on Oct. 25, 2018

Tel Grain Tel Pain. Which I was told means 'in as wheat out as bread'!

History of Davenant Foundation and the monitorial system
Contributed by allan on June 27, 2017

A very good history of Davenant can be found here http://www.british- history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol1/pp293-294

It also shows the badge for the school, though it omits the school motto which was placed beneath the badge - Dieu Et Mon Droit (God and My Right)

The Davenant Centre
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 24, 2017

A scheme for refurbishment of the two surviving school buildings to be a community centre emerged from the GLC in 1984. In a project spearheaded by George Nicholson, Chair of the Planning Committee in the GLC’s last and defiantly radical days, more than £1m was made available for the formation of the Davenant Centre. This ‘community resources and training centre’ was to extend to include a new building on the empty site at 181–185 Whitechapel Road, all to house eight local groups: the Asian Unemployed Outreach Project, Dishari Shilpi Ghosti (musicians who had left the scene by 1988), the Federation of Bangladeshi Youth Organisations, the Progressive Youth Organisation, Tower Hamlets Advanced Technology Training, the Tower Hamlets Trades Council, the Tower Hamlets Training Forum, and the Jagonari Asian Women’s Resource Centre (see 183–185 Whitechapel Road). With the Historic Buildings Division in close attendance, plans for the adaptation of the listed buildings were drawn up in 1984–5 by Julian Harrap Architects with Peter Stocker as job architect. Harry Neal Ltd carried out the building works in 1985–7, completion coming after the abolition of the GLC and despite an attempt by Westminster City Council to stop the works. The open ground floor under the hall was largely enclosed and the front block gained new stairs and partitions, an upper-storey tiered lecture room being preserved. The Centre’s Chair was Manuhar Ali and Adam Lazarus was the Development Worker. First use was as a youth club and for computer training, welfare advice, trade-union offices and meetings in the assembly hall. There was no reliable source of revenue so the hall had to be advertised for hire and the Centre opened as a music venue in 1990.1

The Centre could not sustain itself and Aliur Rahman was obliged to instigate a further conversion in 2002. Carried out in 2005–6 through ESA Architects (Nic Sampson, job architect), Peter Brett Associates, consulting engineers, and Killby & Gayford, contractors, this introduced much more lettable office use, retaining space for a youth club on the west part of the front block’s ground floor. To maximise floor space a mezzanine floor was inserted, the loft was converted, and to the rear a glazed staircase in a ‘cylindrical pod’ was added. The 1890s hall was also adapted for office use, the interior retained. Despite debts and with support from Tower Hamlets Council, the complex continued as the Davenant Centre until 2017 when in want of funding it was obliged to close. The YMCA George Williams College took occupancy of the front building in 2018.2


  1. THLHLA, Building Control file 15464; Davenant News, 1985–8: Tower Hamlets News, Dec. 1985: East London Advertiser, 13 July 1984; 30 May 1986: Historic England, London Region photographs 

  2. THLHLA, Building Control files 81165, 83280: East London Advertiser, 14 Aug 2009 

St Mary Street School
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 24, 2017

The Whitechapel Society for the Education of the Poor was formed in September 1812 as an early branch of the National Society (see above). Daniel Mathias, Whitechapel’s Rector since 1807, headed this initiative towards educating more of Whitechapel’s poor children. A survey of the parish had uncovered 5,161 children under the age of seven and 3,204 above that age. Of the latter, 991 attended the thirty-two schools already in the parish, leaving 2,213 uneducated. Few parents attended church, providing an additional motive for the evangelical Society. A scheme coalesced for the establishment of a new school with a hall large enough for 1,000 to be taught on Bell’s (National Society) principles; it would also be used for religious service on Sundays. The first thought was to procure an adaptable building, but by early 1813 there were plans to build on land to the north of the 1680s school and a lease (from John Wildman) was agreed. In the event the Society decided to use this land to extend the parish’s burial ground eastwards and to build the school on the west part of the burial ground of the 1790s to face what had been made St Mary Street. The Vestry gave up the land and the Bishop of London approved the project in the summer of 1813. However, funds were wanting; despite a grant of £300 from the National Society, the building fund was more than £1000 short of its target of £2500. The Duke of Cambridge laid a foundation stone on 12 October 1813 in an opulent ceremony said to have been attended by thousands that brought in £677 11 6 in donations. Completed in 1815, the building was among the earliest purpose-built National schools. It was also, as Nikolaus Pevsner had it in an unconscious recognition of the intended secondary use, ‘like a chapel’.1

Its architect remains unknown, though for circumstantial reasons Samuel Page is a candidate (see the entry on the rebuilding of the Davenant School). It was a single-storey stock-brick barn of about 80ft by 120ft. Its round-headed window openings, some very tall, had cast-iron Gothic tracery. There were porches at both ends and a western clock turret. The main square room to the west was for the teaching of 600 boys, with a half-sized room beyond for 400 girls, all convertible into a single space. Two rows of square timber posts helped support a vast queen-post truss timber roof. There was a hot-air heating system, devised and paid for by Davis with John Craven, another Goodman’s Fields sugar-baker. Tom Flood Cutbush (the son-in-law of Luke Flood, Treasurer to the Davenant School) procured an organ, which he played himself, also arranging performances of oratorios in the 1820s.

In 1844–5 the Rev. William Weldon Champneys oversaw reconfiguration of the east end, the girls’ room reduced, raised and given a railed balcony to create space below for an infants’ school, with living rooms for the master and mistress. Other subdivision for classrooms in the western corners followed in 1868–9 with G. H. Simmonds as architect. The west porch was lost when St Mary Street was widened in 1881–2. George Lansbury, an alumnus around 1870, recalled ‘what a school-building! No classrooms, one huge room with classes in each corner and one in the middle.’ 2 The east part of the burial ground, disused from 1853, was taken for a playground from 1862. This was shared with the Davenant School and a disinfecting house was inserted in its north-east corner in 1871. The National School was also known as the Whitechapel Society’s School, St Mary’s School or St Mary Street School. In 1874, 360 children were presented for examinations, a decade later 443. It had less cachet than the Davenant School, which, to Lansbury, was for ‘“charity sprats” – girls and boys dressed in ridiculous uniforms’.3  After administrative changes (see below) there were adaptations in 1889–90, including the addition of a caretaker’s house to the north. The school continued under LCC maintenance as Davenant Elementary Schools, its roll gradually declining from 784 in 1900 to 300 in 1938. It closed in 1939. After post-war use as a second- hand clothing warehouse and despite calls for its preservation, the building was demolished in 1975.4


  1. Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London except the Cities of London and Westminster, 1952, p. 426: LMA, P93/MRY1/090; E/BN/102; CLC/011/MS11097/1: Annual Report of the National Society etc, 1813, pp. 34–5: Gentleman’s Magazine, vol. 83, Nov. 1813, pp. 493–4: Reynolds, pp.35–43 

  2. As quoted in Reynolds, p.51 

  3. As quoted in Reynolds, p.51 

  4. LMA, A/DAV/001/18: District Surveyors Returns : The Builder, 19 Dec 1868, p. 936: Ordnance Survey map 1873: Metropolitan Board of Works Minutes, 15 Dec 1882, p.922: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives (hereafter THLHLA), LC6865, Annual Report, 1883–4; L/THL/D/1/1/65: Endowed Charities (County of London), 1904, p. 51: London County Council Minutes, 29 Jan. 1907, p.111: TNA, ED21/12131; /35337; /57367: Eeast London Observer, 27 April 1935: Reynolds, pp. 43­–51: Historic England, London Region historians’ files TH1 and TH26; photographs 1973 and 1975 

Foundation School enlargement and later history
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 24, 2017

Alterations and enlargement of the Davenant School in the 1890s were occasioned by changes to the wider administrative framework for education. The formation of the Charity Commissioners in 1853 led to amalgamation of Whitechapel’s parish charities and the building of a Whitechapel Charities Commercial School on Leman Street. The Education Act and three Endowed Schools Acts of the years around 1870 and growing demand for school places were further backdrops to protracted discussions between the Whitechapel Trustees and the Charity Commissioners. Eventually in 1888 the Whitechapel Charities (embracing St Mary’s School and the Leman Street School) and the Davenant School were merged to form the Whitechapel Foundation, unified in adhering to Church of England religious instruction and amply provided for by historic charitable endowments. What had been Davenant’s Endowed Free School on Whitechapel Road, which had gone through a rocky period, was henceforward the Foundation School, a secondary school for 250 boys which was to be improved with new buildings (and a specified need for a chemical laboratory and workshops). The elementary schools were now, confusingly, called the Davenant Schools.1

With the new scheme settled, meetings chaired by the Rev. A. J. Robinson in 1888 quickly approved plans for new buildings by Frank Ponler Telfer, the 24-year old son of one of the new Foundation’s Governors, John Ashbridge Telfer, a pawnbroker of 88 Whitechapel High Street. Another Governor was John Ashbridge, a solicitor on the south side of Whitechapel Road and the brother of Arthur Ashbridge, the District Surveyor for Marylebone who on occasions also acted as a surveyor for the Whitechapel Foundation. They were cousins to John Ashbridge Telfer. Their fathers, John Simpson Ashbridge and Somerville Telfer (who married Maria Ashbridge), and grandfather, John Ashbridge, had all been East London pawnbrokers. John Ashbridge and J. A. Telfer were the only Governors besides Robinson to attend a meeting with the Charity Commissioners in July 1888. The young Telfer, whose mother Mary Ann was the daughter of John Ponler, a Wapping timber merchant, identified himself as a surveyor. He had served an apprenticeship in the City with George Andrew Wilson, architect and surveyor, during which the firm, as Wilson, Son & Aldwinckle, had overseen alterations to the Duke’s Head public house (181 Whitechapel Road) in 1881.2

A first complication to arise in 1890 was to do with the loss of light and air to the west with the building of the Victoria Home. Arthur Ashbridge dealt with this and Telfer prepared new plans for what was to be called a Commercial School, now working with a new headmaster, Henry Carter. In 1891 the Governors split five to four against a new roadside building and in favour of a new building in the ‘garden’ (the playground and former burial ground), envisaging the road frontage being freed up for shops. Land along Old Montague Street was purchased to supplement what was already owned through the William Rowland Charity and four courts of houses were cleared. On behalf of the Charity Commissioners Ewan Christian approved building in the playground, seemingly unaware that this would contravene the Disused Burial Grounds Act; his suggestions were otherwise bypassed. In 1892 nine firms of architects were invited to submit anonymised plans for a building behind the old school on the playground, to be on ‘columns and girders’ for an open ground floor so as not to lose the play space. Five schemes were received. That by Telfer was selected as the best, his father being one of the four inspectors. John C. Hudson and Herbert O. Ellis placed second and third respectively. Telfer worked up his scheme in 1893 and building work ensued in 1894–5 with J. S. Hammond and Son of Romford as contractors. Telfer was asked to ensure that ‘The East London Commercial School’ should appear in the floor and that a tablet should commemorate the governors. But the Charity Commissioners disapproved of the name and insisted on the Whitechapel Foundation School. Fitting out followed in 1896. Already in 1898 most of the sixth-form boys were of Jewish origin, fathers being teachers of Hebrew, a furrier, waterproof manufacturer, butcher, tailor, and poultry and horse slaughterers, coming from as far as Stoke Newington, Camberwell and Upton Park.3

Stylistically ‘splendid Neo-Jacobean’,4 perhaps influenced by E. W. Mountford, Telfer’s two-storey building is of red brick with terracotta dressings, including mullion and transom windows, some with leaded lights, and scrolled gables. The brief forced formal ingenuity and resulted in a distinctive parti that is something of an architectural statement, albeit devised from Board School precedents. Telfer was evidently accomplished, but despite this youthful opportunity his career did not take off. He identified himself in 1901 as an auctioneer, no longer a surveyor. He died in 1907, age 43. The ground-floor covered playground was outwardly articulated by arcaded piers. Within, there were cylindrical cast-iron columns and composite girders to support the superstructure. The five-bay east–west assembly hall is grandly gabled – an intended flèche was vetoed by Christian. It has an arch-braced and barrel-vaulted wagon ceiling with turned tie beams and king posts. The south façade was visible from the passage through the old building across a now cleared yard, and the hall was approached by an eye-catching covered staircase with a stepped open arcade. This had been designed to be central, but was moved to the east bay and given a lobby at its head at the building committee’s suggestion, presumably for the sake of a larger yard. A nine-bay north–south range housed six classrooms and staff accommodation.5

The LCC and the Board of Education imposed alterations and the addition of a Neo-Georgian north range parallel to Old Montague Street in 1908–9. Designed by Arthur W. Cooksey, this provided four more classrooms, a physics laboratory and an art room. There was no space or money for a gymnasium, but an enclosed fives court was added in 1915–17. This seems to betoken a consciousness of status in what became the Davenant Foundation School in 1928. This was, however, one of the smallest secondary schools in London and the only one unable to provide hot dinners. At the behest of the LCC, negotiations for an amalgamation or a move away from Whitechapel began in 1937, but these were interrupted by war and evacuation. There were wartime alterations to the front range for use as a rescue centre. In the early 1950s voluntary-aid grammar- school status was granted and, despite a falling roll, a new range was added along Old Montague Street for a biology lab, library and two additional classrooms. Meanwhile, in the face of a decreasing local population, the LCC planned comprehensive redevelopment of the area.6

The school moved to Loughton, Essex, in 1965, a shift first suggested by the Ministry of Education in 1956. The GLC’s Inner London Education Authority took the Whitechapel site and up to 1971 it was used for Walbrook College’s East London College of Commerce. The Victorian Society, Ancient Monuments Society and GLC Historic Buildings Division resisted a plan for clearance behind the already listed front building, use as a youth centre being suggested. This led to the listing in 1973 of the assembly hall and its staircase. Plans in 1975 to convert the school buildings to be an old persons’ club for the intended Davenant Street Development (see below) came to nothing and demolition north of the hall block ensued.7


  1. School Board for London Minutes, 17 Jan. 1884, p.299 et seq: LMA, LCC/EO/PS/03/164: TNA, ED27/3236: Reynolds, pp.54–55,72–3 

  2. LMA, A/DAV/02/001; A/DAV/02/005; A/DAV/03/001: TNA, PROB11/1675/425; ED27/3238: Ancestry: The Builder, 9 April 1881, p. 462: Post Office Directories 

  3. LMA, A/DAV/02/001, passim; A/DAV/02/005; A/DAV/03/001; A/DAV/04/001; LCC/AR/BA/01/031; GLC/AR/BR/07/3533: The Times, 19 Dec 1895, p. 6: TNA, ED27/3237–41; IR58/84806/2303–5 

  4. Bridget Cherry, Charles O’Brien and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 5: East, 2005, p. 400 

  5. Ancestry: Historic England, London Region photographs 

  6. London County Council Minutes, 17 March 1903, p. 664; 30 May 1905, p. 2081; 29 July 1908, p. 343; 16 March 1909, p. 618: District Surveyors Returns: LMA, A/DAV/02/002, p.6; LCC/EO/PS/03/163–6 and 169: THLHLA, L/THL/D/1/1/65; Building Control file 15464: Historic England, London Regions historians’ report TH1: Reynolds, pp. 80–87 

  7. Victoria County History, loc. cit.: Reynolds, pp. 88–91: THLHLA, Building Control file 15464: Historic England, London Region historians’ report TH1 with report by Marjorie B. Honeybourne for the Ancient Monuments Society, March 1972; London Region photographs 

Former Davenant School, 179 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Chris Redgrave

Davenant School before rebuilding from Wilkinson's 'Londina Illustrata'
Contributed by Survey of London

179-189 Whitechapel Road, April 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

179 Whitechapel Road, April 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

179 Whitechapel Road from the south-east in April 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

Davenant Centre
Contributed by Shahed Saleem

Block plan showing Davenant School buildings and principal nearby sites as in 1953 (buildings of 2016 in grey)
Contributed by Helen Jones