40 Osborn Street

1903-4, house and warehouse, now with shop

40 Osborn Street
Contributed by Survey of London on March 30, 2017

This was the site of Orlando Jones & Co.’s patent rice-starch factory in the 1840s. The property was rebuilt in 1903–4 as a house, shop and warehouse for H. O. Ellis who was also the architect, with Michael Calnan as his builder. There was a printers’ workshop to the rear, and an early occupant was Leo Anatole Jouques, a publisher who went on to set up an aviation works. Plans for conversion to a restaurant with a dance hall to the rear, possibly unexecuted, were prepared in 1935–6 by Richard Seifert.1

  1. District Surveyors Returns: The National Archives, IR58/84800/1739: Tower  Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, L/THL/D/2/30/110: Post Office Directories 

40 Osborn Street, April 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall