117–119 New Road

1894 by N. & R. Davis, dwellings with shops and top-floor workshops, now restaurants and offices

117–119 New Road
Contributed by Survey of London on May 9, 2018

Built in 1894 and once extending to No. 123 as four units, this was an early project by Nathaniel and Raphael (Ralph) Davis, the youngest of the seven Davis brothers. Red brick and four storeys, these were dwellings between shops and top-floor tailors’ workrooms. By 1902 No. 117 hosted the Provident Medical Aid Friendly Society.1


  1. London Metropolitan Archives, District Surveyors Returns: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 41192: Post Office Directories: Isobel Watson, ‘Rebuilding London: Abraham Davis and his Brothers, 1881–1924’, London Journal, vol. 29, 2004, pp.62–84 

117–119 New Road
Contributed by IsobelWatson on July 4, 2016

Nos 117–123 (odd) New Road were a block of four commercial buildings put up in 1894 as an early project of N. & R. Davis, the youngest of the seven builder brothers Davis.1 They also built similar premises elsewhere, for example on the north side of Fashion Street, and (closer to Whitechapel) 18–28 Cambridge (Heath) Road.2


  1. London Metropolitan Archives, Middlesex Deeds Register (MDR) 1894/19/36, 661, 663 

  2. MDR 1904/10/936-937.