34–60 Scarborough Street

Late 1980s, pair of blocks of flats and two houses | Part of 34–60 Scarborough Street and 1 South Tenter Street

34–60 Scarborough Street and 1 South Tenter Street
Contributed by Survey of London on Aug. 4, 2020

Part of the block to the east across St Mark Street belonged to the Co- operative Wholesale Society by 1934, and after severe bomb damage and clearance the Co-operative Wholesale Society (CWS) had purchased the whole block by 1948, it being adjacent to other CWS premises east and south. The site was used as the CWS’s car park; if there were plans to build they did not materialize. It was still in use as the Tenter Street Car Park in 1975 by when the CWS was disengaging from Whitechapel.1

Permission for residential development was granted in October 1980. In the context of the GLC’s Community Areas Policy, as at 2–32 Scarborough Street, a scheme for four houses and a four-storey block of flats was approved in 1984. The project was revised in 1986 after which buildings went up, the three houses at 34 and 36 Scarborough Street and 1 South Tenter Street, and the pair of blocks of flats, twelve in all, at 38–60 Scarborough Street. They have polychrome brick elevations with timber bays and hipped roofs, and are managed by the Gateway Housing Association, the successor to the Bethnal Green and East London Housing Association. One of several attractive octagonal nineteenth-century bollards in the Tenter Ground stands on the corner north- west of this development.2


  1. London Metropolitan Archives, GLC/AR/BR/17/077326/02; GLC/AR/BR/07/2914; GLC/AR/BR/17/077204; SC/PHL/01/398/75/6096; Collage 120161 

  2. Tower Hamlets planning applications online 

Themes