22 Osborn Street

1955-7 workshops, now offices with restaurant. This was the site of a courthouse from the 1790s to 1850s and a cinema from 1908.

22 Osborn Street
Contributed by Survey of London on March 30, 2017

Osborn Street was not yet fully built up in the 1790s when a courthouse was built on the site of Nos 22–24. Osborn Street’s Court of Requests for Tower Hamlets, a small claims court, may have been a successor to use of the manorial court in the north-east of the parish (at the top of Court Street), the move likely prompted by the reformation of magistracy brought about by the Middlesex Justices Act of 1792. The County Court Act of 1846 abolished courts of requests, but these premises continued to be used for Whitechapel County Court into the 1850s. From 1908 there was a cinema on the site of No. 22. There was redevelopment after war damage in 1955–7 for light industrial use. The building now accommodates offices over an Asian restaurant.1


  1. Richard Horwood's map, 1813: Ordnance Survey map, 1873: Post Office Directories: Tower Hamlets planning applications online 

Works to shopfront
Contributed by Shahed Saleem