245-249 Whitechapel Road

1903, shops and flats | Part of 235-247 Whitechapel Road

245–249 Whitechapel Road
Contributed by Survey of London on Nov. 17, 2017

Premises here known as Waterloo House were rebuilt in 1903. Walter Gladding was the builder at Nos 245–247 for McKay and Ryland, linen-drapers, and J. H. T. Keeves built for himself at No. 249, which explains the minor elevational irregularity in this substantial six-bay four-storey building with flats above shops, plain except for red-brick trim that includes first-floor relieving arches on Gladding’s bays. The drapers’ shop extended by 1907 to include Nos 243 and 249. No. 247 now houses the Feast and Mishti Bangladeshi restaurant.1


  1. London Metropolitan Archives, District Surveyors Returns: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, P/HHL/1/1; Building Control file 15476. 

235-247 Whitechapel Road in 2016
Contributed by Derek Kendall

235-253 Whitechapel Road in 2016
Contributed by Derek Kendall

235-253 Whitechapel Road in 2016
Contributed by Derek Kendall

Whitechapel Road with Court Street
Contributed by Derek Kendall

241-253 Whitechapel Road in 2016
Contributed by Derek Kendall

Whitechapel Road with Court Street in 2016
Contributed by Derek Kendall