All places in the category "Industry"

28 Osborn Street

early 19th century, reinstated 1949-50

Kirstein's Mansions

1911, shops, tenements and workrooms

46 Middlesex Street

1880s shop and former warehouse, upper parts of 46 and 48 converted in 2010 to six flats as The Lofthouse, 48a Middlesex Street

part of Calcutta House, London Metropolitan Univeristy

1950s former Brooke Bond tea storage and packing building, later part of London Metropolitan University

48 and 48a Middlesex Street

1880s shop and former warehouse, upper parts of 46 and 48 converted in 2010 to six flats as The Lofthouse, 48a Middlesex Street

42 Middlesex Street

1880s shop and former warehouse, part converted to residential

44 Middlesex Street

1880s shop and former warehouse, upper parts converted to residential

Warehouse to rear of 108A-110 Whitechapel Road (17-18 Vine Court)

1969-70, workshop for making surgical and orthopaedic appliances

19 to 23 Osborn Street

derelict former garage building on site of Warner iron foundry

27 Osborn Street

1927 red brick and engineering brick former offices of Stepney Borough electricity substation, now UK Power Networks

27 Osborn Street

2009-12 UK Power Newtorks substation (formerly Whitechapel/Stepney/London Electricity substation), previously site of Ind Coope beer stores

3 Gunthorpe Street

1997 workshop building with 1899-1900 retained street facade of Whitechapel Board of Works refuse destructor building

16-20 Vallance Road

late 20th century electricity sub-station

100-136 Cavell Street

1915–16, former clothing factory. built for S. Schneiders & Son, converted 1989–90 to form 19 mixed-use units

Ahmed House, 48 Fieldgate Street

1983–5 as garment workshops and showrooms, converted in 1992–3 into flats with shop

71 Greenfield Road

late 20th century workshops

75 Greenfield Road

late 20th-century workshops

86-88 Greenfield Road

1960s, workshops

Ebrahim College, 80 Greenfield Road

1960s workshop, now in college use

42 Commercial Road

early 1870s shophouse, used as a smithy 1890s to 1930s

24 Fordham Street

c.1900 workshops, now flats

13 to 24 Bowman Mews

1993-4. four-storey block of flats on site of wool warehouse

Calcutta House

Calcutta House, former Brooke Bond tea warehouse, built 1909, later London Metropolitan University

25 Osborn Street

1850s stock brick building, with 1950s addition to east side, built as beer store for Ind, Coope & Co.

East One Building, 20-22 Commercial Street

1920s former factory building, with later top floor, converted to offices 2001, site of St Jude's church

Swarthmore College

late 20th century workshops, now college

Maersk House

1974 as Beagle House, Richard Seifert & Partners, architects, demolished 2017-18

The Curve, 14 Fieldgate Street

2010-12, student housing with a supermarket

101 Greenfield Road

1963–5 garment workshops, on site of former 16-24 Fieldgate Street and 1-2 Greenfield Road

Business Development Centre, formerly Great Garden Street Synagogue and Morris Lederman House

Former foundry to rear converted to be a synagogue in 1896, front range Federation of Synagogues offices of 1972-4, all converted in 1999

9-13 Osborn Street

1951 light industrial building used variously as recording studio and solicitor's offices

Empire House

1934, clothing factory, converted to flats in 2017–18

Maedah Grill, 42 Fieldgate Street (with 100 Greenfield Road)

1981–2, garment factory, converted to offices, now with restaurant and Qurtubah Institute

30b Commercial Road

late-19th-century shop and warehouse building

30 and 30a Commercial Road

derelict remains on Buckle Street of outbuildings and part of rear wall of demolished late 19th-century warehouses on Commercial Road

Unit 73a, 25 Cable Street

railway arches used as light industrial unit, site of Sun and Sword alehouse

56–58 Fieldgate Street

1902-3, shophouse

Albany Court, 18-25 Plumbers Row

early 1970s workshops, rebuilt as showrooms and flats in the late 1990s, raised 2002

Cromlech House

early 1960s former car park, warehouse, market and factory building (site of Boar's Head Yard), demolished 2016

171 Commercial Road

19th century two-storey narrow building with ground floor shop.

32-34 Commercial Road, with entrance to Riga Mews

1871, ground floor offices/salon, flats over (part of Riga Mews). Built for JJ & SW Chalk, timber merchants, entrance to Riga Mews between

Riga Mews, 32-34 Commercial Street

2003-4 block of flats, entered between 32 and 34 Commercial Road, on site of JJ & SW Chalk post-war timber store

5-6 Vine Court

mid 19th century housing with carriageway to former factory to rear, for coffee-roasting, later a clothing works

Former St George's Brewery, 33 Commercial Road

model brewery of 1846-7, with warehouse to Assam Street of 1913-20, converted 2012-14

Old Pump House, 19-20 Hooper Street

1885-6, former engine house of the LTSR goods depot, converted to offices 2004-5

London School of Commerce & IT, 60-66 Greenfield Road

1960s workshop/factory building, adapted to educational use

The Proof House, 48-50 Commercial Road

Receiving offices (48), proofmaster's house (50) and former proving chamber (rear of 50) of the Gunmakers' Company. Largely built 1826

17 Osborn Street

1950s single-storey building, formerly a monumental masons, currently Stolen Space street-art gallery

48 Gower's Walk

1924 factory building (formerly 47-8) converted to flats 1997

Greatorex Business Centre, 8-10 Greatorex Street

former clothing factory of 1955-6, partially converted in 2011

5-9 White Church Lane

clothing factory of 1919-21, raised and converted to flats in 1999-2000

29-33 White Church Lane

1936-7, gown factory and showroom, demolished 2016

25 Whitechapel Road

shop-house of c.1750, probably built for William Forster, distiller, altered in the 19th century and raised c.2003

1 Whitechapel Road (including 2-8 Osborn Street)

1957-8, former clothing factory with restaurant

115 New Road and the former New Road Synagogue

shophouse of 1851, refronted in the mid 1980s. The former New Road Synagogue of 1891–2 is to the rear.

7-8 Davenant Street

1797-8 sugarhouse, reduced in height after a fire in 1848, reconstructed and raised in 1894-5 and 1901, converted for college use 2007-8

Former Wilcox's New Music Hall and Vine Court synagogue

Music hall of 1869-71 converted to synagogue in 1892 and to clothing factory c.1980, largely rebuilt c.2005

Electricity Sub Station

c.2007 electricity sub station

117–119 New Road

1894 by N. & R. Davis, dwellings with shops and top-floor workshops, now restaurants and offices

32-38 Osborn Street

1961-2, clothing factory and showroom, extended 1987-8 and part converted for restaurant in 2003

30 Osborn Street

shophouse of c.1830 used as Tower Hamlets Savings Bank until 1892, converted to ritual bath, reinstated as flats over shop in 1949-50

2 Whitechapel Road with 40 Adler Street

1957-60, originally offices for Buck & Hickman

Qbic London City, 42 Adler Street

1950-2, offices and warehouses for Buck & Hickman, converted to hotel use in 2013

6 Durward Street

1876-7, former Board school on the site of a ragged school of 1862, closed 1911 and adapted for industrial use, converted to flats in 1996-7

12-20 Osborn Street (Arbor City Hotel)

1957-61, clothing factory converted to hotel in 2001, on the site of a sugar refinery (1795) and the Victoria Wine Company's depot (1879)

16-18 Whitechapel Road

1938-9, factory for Buck & Hickman Ltd, toolmakers

1-13 Adler Street

1963-4, flatted workshops with shops, built for the London County Council, part adapted for college use

Electricity Sub Station

c.2007, electricity sub station

part of Calcutta House

1962 former tea warehouse, site of St Paul's German Reformed Church, later part of Calcutta House, London Metropolitan University

15 Dock Street

1860s stables and factory, now offices

91-99 Fieldgate Street, including Feather Mews

1926-7, garment-making complex with house, warehouse, courtyard and garage, now with shops and workshops

4-8 Whitechapel Road

1929-30, warehouse built for Buck & Hickman

265 Whitechapel Road

1767-72, part of group of four shophouses, Samuel Ireland, builder-developer, converted and restored 2007-8 and c.2012

267 Whitechapel Road

1767-72, part of group of four shophouses, Samuel Ireland, builder-developer, converted and restored 2007-8 and c.2012

Outbuilding to rear of 108 Whitechapel Road

1960-3, workshop replacing a warehouse of 1922-3

Whitechapel Bell Foundry, 32–34 Whitechapel Road

Bell foundry, built mid 1740s, extended to rear

Albion Yard (formerly Albion Brewery)

Albion Brewery established 1807, rebuilt and extended 1863-8 and 1894-1902 for Mann, Crossman & Paulin, converted to flats in 1993-5