The Bar Locks (formerly the Horse and Groom)

public house, built 1902, painted stock brick

The Bar Locks (formerly the Horse and Groom public house), 21 White Church Lane
Contributed by Survey of London on June 20, 2016

There was a Horse and Groom pub on this corner site by 1760. A two-storey building that had been run by Henry Levy was replaced in 1902. The developer was Jacob King of West Hampstead, the architect Ralph J. Miller of 9 Queen Anne's Gate, and the builder E. Messiter of Sloane Square. It had become a Truman, Hanbury & Buxton pub by 1910 and has recently had its stock brick painted.1


  1. London Metropolitan¬†Archives, MR/LV/7/49: Land Tax returns: District Surveyors Returns: London County Council Minutes, 24 June 1902, p. 953: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 41974:¬†The National Archives, IR58/84809/2620 

21 White Church Lane
Contributed by Derek Kendall

21 White Church Lane
Contributed by Derek Kendall

The Bar Locks, formerly the Horse and Groom, 21 White Church Lane
Contributed by Derek Kendall