137 Leman Street

late 1840s, former house and offices, now with restaurant

19th and 20th c. notes on 137 Leman Street
Contributed by Sarah Milne, Survey of London on Oct. 4, 2016

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries this site was implicated with the LT&S Railway goods depot which ran behind it through what is now Goodman’s Fields (TNA, IR 58/3252 (edition of 1894-96)). In 1905 it was extended to the rear to create more single-storied office space whilst the street front likely accommodated a ticket office (District Surveyor Returns for Whitechapel). In later decades the building was used as a blouse factory and hotel and restaurant (Charles Goad fire insurance maps).

Colour image of 137 Leman Street from 1964
Contributed by Sarah Milne, Survey of London on Oct. 4, 2016

Digitalised slide located in THLHLA: https://twitter.com/LBTHArchives/status/782864075961270272

137-143 Leman Street from the northwest in 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

137 Leman Street in 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall