John Harrison House

Ten-storey block of flats with a Y-plan, built in the 1960s.

John Harrison House (1962–4)
Contributed by Survey of London on April 29, 2019

This ten-storey Y-plan block was built to designs by Bennett & Son, architects, and Oscar Faber & Partners, consulting engineers. Named in recognition of one of the founders of the infirmary in 1740, this tower block contained more than 220 bedsitting rooms for nurses and administrative staff. At its completion in 1964, each wing had a central corridor lined with bedsitting rooms with shared balconies. Communal sitting rooms, kitchens, utility rooms and lifts were located at the central juncture of the corridors. The reinforced-concrete frame is concealed by inward-facing balconies and sheer expanses of brickwork on the side elevations, which ascend to a rooftop terrace. The block has largely been converted to administrative offices for the hospital.1

  1. RLHA, RLHLH/P/2/46: Evening News, 10 September 1964: RIBA Biographical file, T. P. Bennett & Son: Building Design, May 1987, p. 3. 

Wycliffe Chapel, later Philpot Street Great Synagogue, c. 1905
Contributed by Survey of London