56–58 Fieldgate Street

1902-3, shophouse

56–58 Fieldgate Street
Contributed by Survey of London on July 2, 2018

Alexander Limburg, a fishmonger, was the lessee and first occupant of this shophouse of 1902–3. T. G. Charlton was the architect, M. Calnan & Co. of Commercial Road the builders. The redevelopment permitted widening of the north end of Nottingham Place. By 1907 the premises pertained to the British and American Salmon Curing Co. Other salmon curers were here to the 1930s and Mike Abrahams, a fishmonger, followed into the 1970s. The shop was adapted for garment-trade use in 1993 and has since become Motown Desserts.1


  1. Royal London Hospital Archives, RLHLH/S/1/4; RLHLH/D/3/24, p. 56: London Metropolitan Archives, District Surveyor's Returns: Post Office Directories: The National Archives, IR58/84791/832: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 40646