32-38 Osborn Street

1961-2, clothing factory and showroom, extended 1987-8 and part converted for restaurant in 2003

32-38 Osborn Street
Contributed by Survey of London on March 30, 2017

The present block on this site was built in 1961–2 for Commerce House (Gower Street) Ltd, to designs by J. E. Morgan and Partners, surveyors of 226 Whitechapel Road, by Courtney & Fairbairn Ltd, builders. Of four storeys, basement and attic and brick-faced, the building was intended for office use with ground-floor shops. However, it immediately fell to use as cutting and machine rooms for clothes manufacturing, and was extended in 1987–8. The ground floor, a restaurant since 2003, is the Sonargaon Restaurant, Bangladeshi and Indian Cuisine.1 From around 1905 to the mid-1930s, an earlier building at No. 32 was Alec Snelwar’s Warsaw Kosher Restaurant, frequented by Leon Beron, a notorious slum landlord who was murdered in 1911, and otherwise linked to gangsters and anarchists.2


  1. _ _Post Office Directories: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, Building Control file 14712: Tower Hamlets planning applications 

  2. www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t19110228-43: Post Office Directories: Rachel Lichtenstein, On Brick Lane, 2007, p. 332