School of Nursing and Midwifery

1960s building with a distinctive round lecture theatre faced with concrete. Also known as Princess Alexandra House.

Recollections of a student nurse at the Princess Alexandra School of Nursing in 1967
Contributed by Amy Smith, Survey of London on Nov. 24, 2017

The recollections of Anabel Gardiner, a student nurse, on the Princess Alexandra School of Nursing, which was opened by Princess Alexandra in 1967:

The new School of Nursing was most exciting, with its carpeted corridors, large practical rooms set out like wards in the hospital, a well equipped library very comfortable to work in, a lecture theatre, discussion rooms, in fact everything a model school of nursing should have... There were several teething troubles in the early part of our course, with lifts that would insist on going their own way, and smart venetian blinds that became temperamental when handled! ... We were really thrilled with our lovely modern school...1


  1. Anabel Gardiner, quoted by Edith Parker and Sheila Collins in Learning to Care: a History of Nursing and Midwifery Education at the Royal London Hospital, 1740–1993 (Royal London Hospital Archives and Museum, 1998), pp. 82–3. 

School of Nursing and Midwifery from Philpot Street in 2016
Contributed by Derek Kendall