1 Dock Street

1853-4, shophouse

1 Dock Street and 2 Cable Street
Contributed by Survey of London on March 4, 2019

This three-storey group, six bays in all, with a recessed quadrant corner, cornice intact, was built in 1853–4 by Joseph Clever of Haggerston for Nathaniel James Powell of Mead & Powell, wholesale stationers. John Loane, a druggist and a churchwarden at St Paul’s, was the first occupant of the larger corner and Dock Street shop, followed from the 1870s by Joseph and Thomas Loane, surgeons, until after 1910. Manuel Galdeano then Joseph Cenci had a café here from the 1940s to the 1980s. 2 Cable Street was coffee rooms in the years either side of 1900.1


  1. The National Archives, WORK6/144/1,9; IR58/84822/3956: Post Office Directories 

1 Dock Street and 2-14 Cable Street from the north in 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

1 Dock Street and adjacent buildings from the north-west in 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

1 Dock Street from the west in 2017
Contributed by Derek Kendall

1 Dock Street and adjacent buildings in 2018
Contributed by Derek Kendall

Cable St junction Dock Street 1980
Contributed by danny

1 Dock Street and adjacent buildings in 2018 (distant view)
Contributed by Derek Kendall