Osborn Street was not yet fully built up in the 1790s when a courthouse was built on the site of Nos 22–24. Osborn Street’s Court of Requests for Tower Hamlets, a small claims court, may have been a successor to use of the manorial court in the north-east of the parish (at the top of Court Street), the move likely prompted by the reformation of magistracy brought about by the Middlesex Justices Act of 1792. The County Court Act of 1846 abolished courts of requests, but these premises continued to be used for Whitechapel County Court into the 1850s.
The present building was erected in 1904–5 for Joseph Donn of Princelet Street as developer, to designs by J. R. Moore-Smith, with C. North of Stratford as builder. Designed with ‘offices’ below a dwelling, and the third window bay squeezed in as an afterthought, it may have been intended for Louis Turiansky, a physician and surgeon, who immediately took up what was to be a long-lasting residence, his surgery to the rear. The building retains its original shopfront under an applied fascia, but was cut down in post-war repairs. It originally had a gable-fronted attic.1
Richard Horwood's map, 1813: Ordnance Survey map, 1873: The National Archives, IR58/84800/1728–9: Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives, L/THL/D/2/30/110: Historic England, Aerial Photographs EPW005770, EPW055309: Post Office Directories ↩