44 Middlesex Street

1880s shop and former warehouse, upper parts converted to residential | Part of 38 to 48 Middlesex Street

38 to 48 to Middlesex Street, rare colour footage of 1926

This film is only 26 seconds long but it is extremely early colour footage of Petticoat Lane Market, from the south end of Middlesex Street showing both the Whitechapel (right) and City sides (all now demolished) of the street, including the long range of 1880s warehouses on the right. Most of these were damaged in the war (38 to 48 Middlesex Street at the north end, being the only survivors) and eventually replaced in the early 1960s by Cromlech and United Standard House, itself now (2016) being demolished.

Contributed by Aileen Reid on Sept. 19, 2016