All places tagged "commerce"

Aldgate Tower

Office and retail tower, constructed 2006-2014, designed by Wilkinson Eyre Architects


Maersk House

1974 as Beagle House, Richard Seifert & Partners, architects, demolished 2017-18


1 King's Arms Court

2007-9, housing association flats


Hopetown

2005-7, Salvation Army Lifehouse, a women's hostel, replacing a predecessor of 1977-9 on this site and others on earlier sites nearby

hostel Salvation Army

29 Whitechapel Road

1891, built by and for Mark Levy as tailoring premises above and behind a draper's shop


2 Whitechapel Road with 40 Adler Street

1957-60, originally offices for Buck & Hickman

Buck & Hickman

10 Whitechapel Road

shophouse with origins c.1770, refronted around 1998

Buck & Hickman

16-18 Whitechapel Road

1938-9, factory for Buck & Hickman Ltd, toolmakers

Rhythm Factory Buck & Hickman Killby & Gayford Ltd

Whitechapel Technology Centre (East London Works)

1980-1, training centre with shops, John Spratley & Partners, architects, altered c.1989 and 2015 and adapted for office use


Fresh, 29 Commercial Road

1901-2, shophouse

Herbert O. Ellis Solomon Kirstein

St Boniface German Church, 47 Adler Street

1959-60, Roman Catholic church

Catholic Church Germans

74 Whitechapel High Street

1828-9 shop house, now a restaurant, upper floors converted to studio flats 2001


75 Whitechapel High Street

?early 19th-century shop house, upper floors now used for storage.


76 Whitechapel High Street

1845 shop house, upper floors formerly residential, now storage


83 Whitechapel High Street

1957. café with offices (converted to flats 2007-08) over


86 Whitechapel High Street

heavily altered early to mid 19th-century shop and office building, currently (2016) a café


88 Whitechapel High Street

early 19th-century shop and office building, with entryway to Gunthorpe Street and decorative features from occupancy by Jewish Post 1935


90 Whitechapel High Street

1910-11 shop and offices, sometime site of Blooms restaurant, on site of entrance to Inkhorn Court


The Relay Building, 1 Commercial Street

2008 and 2012-14, 23-storey offices, flats, shops and entrance to Aldgate East station. Entrance to social housing in Tyne Street


Calcutta House annexe, Old Castle Street

1932 former Brooke Bond welfare building, later part of London Metropolitan University


Universal House

1950s office incorporating part of 1892-3 stock and red brick former Wildermuth House lodging house


17 Osborn Street

1950s single-storey building, formerly a monumental masons, currently Stolen Space street-art gallery


102 to 105 Whitechapel High Street and 2 Commercial Street

1909-10 rebuilding of part of T. Venables & Son drapers and furnishers


101 Whitechapel High Street

1960 office building and former bank, on site of Tewkesbury Buildings


92-3 Whitechapel High Street

1861 shophouses, now one building, upper floors converted to flats 2001 and extra floor added


84 Whitechapel High Street

c. 1957 shop (now takeaway) and office building, incorporating access to Angel Alley, upper floors converted to flats 2000-1


Whitechapel Gallery, 77-82 Whitechapel High Street

1898-1901 art gallery extended 1985 and 2009 when neighbouring library incorporated


3 Osborn Street

early/mid 19th-century shop-house, upper floors converted to maisonette 1999-2000


5 Osborn Street

1848-9 shophouse, reduced to two stories after war damage


7 Osborn Street

1840s shophouse, reduced to two stories after war damage


9-13 Osborn Street

1951 light industrial building used variously as recording studio and solicitor's offices


3 Gunthorpe Street

1997 workshop building with 1899-1900 retained street facade of Whitechapel Board of Works refuse destructor building


Whitechapel Gallery, former Whitechapel Library

2009 extension to Whitechapel Gallery housed in former 1891-2 Passmore Edwards Library. Incorporates entrance to Aldgate East tube station

gallery art

29-33 Osborn Street

1964 shop and office building, since 1984 headquarters of Sonali Bank (UK) Ltd


Calcutta House

Calcutta House, former Brooke Bond tea warehouse, built 1909, later London Metropolitan University


Ladbroke Court, 4 Resolution Plaza

2013-14, flats with shops to ground floor


Islamic Bank of Britain, 97-99 Whitechapel Road

1927-8, built as Commercial Gas Company offices and showrooms


Greatorex Business Centre, 8-10 Greatorex Street

former clothing factory of 1955-6, partially converted in 2011


151 Whitechapel Road

1860-2, end house and only survivor of a thirteen-house terrace developed and designed by John Hudson


6 Durward Street

1876-7, former Board school on the site of a ragged school of 1862, closed 1911 and adapted for industrial use, converted to flats in 1996-7


London Metropolitan University

1964-5 as wholesale showrooms and storage, adapted to educational use


Needoo Grill, 85 New Road

house of the 1790s, restaurant inserted


81 New Road

1887, formerly the Duke of Gloucester public house


Empire House

1934, clothing factory, converted to flats in 2017–18

H. Victor Kerr

124 Whitechapel Road

1860s shophouse, possibly for Zebedee Wilcox, ginger-beer maker


101 Greenfield Road

1963–5 garment workshops, on site of former 16-24 Fieldgate Street and 1-2 Greenfield Road

Lango House Davis brothers Walter For synagogue

24 Fordham Street

c.1987, flats


Altitude Point

resi & retail tower construc. 2011-14 for Barratt Homes, former site of Zoar Baptist Chapel, Little Alie St Synagogue, Jews' Infant School


Flats 1 to 12, 63 Gower's Walk

2007-8 six-storey block of 12 'affordable housing' flats (site of goods depot), part of redevelopment of 52-58 Commercial Road


Chandlery House, 40 Gower's Walk

1894-5 wine warehouse with frontages to Gower's Walk and Back Church Lane, altered and floors added when converted to flats 1998-9


53 Gower's Walk

1993-6 Postmodern terraced house in red and stock brick, site of the entrance to the yards of T.M. Fairclough, meat hauliers


49 Gower's Walk

1993-6 Postmodern terraced house in red and stock brick


Premier Inn, 66 Alie Street

2012-14, 6-storey hotel


New Loom House, 101 Back Church Lane

1889-90 former Browne and Eagle wool warehouse converted to offices 1991


100-136 Cavell Street

1915–16, former clothing factory. built for S. Schneiders & Son, converted 1989–90 to form 19 mixed-use units


The Artful Dodger (formerly the Crown and Seven Stars)

1820s public house with later alterations


66 Royal Mint Street

1890, warehouse, converted to flats in the 1970s


Sapphire Court, 1 Ensign Street

c.1997-9, flats


Shapla Primary School

1983-7, primary school


Hooper Square development entrance to internal flats

main entrance to Hooper Square development of flats of the mid-1990s


Whitechapel Market, Whitechapel Road

street market, with furnishings including the King Edward VII Memorial Drinking Fountain


46-54 John Fisher Street on the Royal Mint Estate

Built 1978-1982 as Royal Mint Square, a housing estate for the Greater London Council designed by Andrews, Downie & Kelly


Petticoat Lane Market


Whitechapel High Street


78 Wentworth Street