All places tagged "immigration"

2-6 St Mark Street

4-storey house, c.1830s, now an Indian restaurant, est. 1939


1 King's Arms Court

2007-9, housing association flats


Hopetown

2005-7, Salvation Army Lifehouse, a women's hostel, replacing a predecessor of 1977-9 on this site and others on earlier sites nearby

hostel Salvation Army

29 Whitechapel Road

1891, built by and for Mark Levy as tailoring premises above and behind a draper's shop


Haji Nanna Biryani, 14 Whitechapel Road

Built 1881-2 as the George public house, shopfront of 1934

public house Buck & Hickman Boris Bennett Crabb & Son Ltd , Ashby Brothers George public house

21 Old Montague Street

1980-2, house, part of the Hopetown Estate, built by the GLC


Business Development Centre, formerly Great Garden Street Synagogue and Morris Lederman House

Former foundry to rear converted to be a synagogue in 1896, front range Federation of Synagogues offices of 1972-4, all converted in 1999

Federation of Synagogues Morris Lederman foundry synagogue

86 Whitechapel High Street

?1950s shop and office building, currently (2016) a café


88 Whitechapel High Street

early 19th-century shop and office building, with entryway to Gunthorpe Street and decorative features from occupancy by Jewish Post 1935


Arcadia Court, formerly 90 to 222 Wentworth Dwellings

1886 block of flats with shops at 30 to 50 Wentworth Street and 36 to 48 Goulston Street to ground floor


Toynbee Hall

1880s Tudoresque settlement house with later additions, streetside building site of St Jude's vicarage


101 Whitechapel High Street

1960 office building and former bank, on site of Tewkesbury Buildings


92-3 Whitechapel High Street

1861 shophouses, now one building, upper floors converted to flats 2001 and extra floor added


3 Osborn Street

early/mid 19th-century shop-house, upper floors converted to maisonette 1999-2000


29-33 Osborn Street

1964 shop and office building, since 1984 headquarters of Sonali Bank (UK) Ltd


16 to 20 Middlesex Street

derelict 1950s former factory and shop building, under demolition 2016


New Evershed House and 28 to 42 Old Castle Street

2013-14, four-storey block of flats (New Evershed House), and eight maisonettes (28 to 42)


Islamic Bank of Britain, 97-99 Whitechapel Road

1927-8, built as Commercial Gas Company offices and showrooms


Zam Zam Gift Shop (formerly the Lord Napier public house), 235 Whitechapel Road

1909, public house, S. A. S. Yeo, architect, converted to shop use in the 1930s

Lord Napier public house Kossoff's S. A. S. Yeo Grodzinski

Swanlea Secondary School

1993, secondary school, site of Brady Street Dwellings and Brady Street Mansions


Needoo Grill, 85 New Road

house of the 1790s, restaurant inserted


12 Settles Street

c.1900 dwellings

Davis Brothers

Former Fieldgate Street Great Synagogue

1898-9, rebuilt in 1959-60, closed and converted for use by the East London Mosque in 2015-16

synagogue

Tayyabs (former Queen's Head public house), 83 Fieldgate Street

late 19th century pub, now part of Tayyabs restaurant


111 New Road

1920-1 commercial premises, now a school and restaurant


East London Mosque

Mosque, 1982-5

mosque

101 Greenfield Road

c.1964 workshops, on site of former 16-24 Fieldgate Street and 1-2 Greenfield Road


30 and 30a Commercial Road

derelict remains on Buckle Street of outbuildings and part of rear wall of demolished late 19th-century warehouses on Commercial Road


John Harrison House

Ten-storey block of flats with a Y-plan, built in the 1960s.


1 East Mount Street

Three-storey terraced house of 1878, with ground floor shop.


Sapphire Court, 1 Ensign Street

c.1997-9, flats


Leman Street Apart-Hotel

2014-16, serviced apartments, formerly German Mission Day School, 1861 (demolished)


Denning Point

1968 tower block of flats reclad, and ground floor street frontage altered and reclad 2013-14


115 New Road and the New Road Synagogue

shophouses with 19th century origins, rebuilt in 20th century, formerly part of the New Road Synagogue


Vallance Gardens, Vallance Road

public garden, formerly Quakers' burial ground, landscaped c.2000


Treves House, Vallance Road

1959 block of flats


Hughes Mansions

1920s flats, partly destroyed by V2 1945, that portion rebuilt c late 1940s


Greater Whitechapel


Greater Whitechapel: Hessel Street east side


Greater Whitechapel: Bernhard Baron House


Whitechapel Market, Whitechapel Road

street market


Petticoat Lane Market