All places tagged "transport"

St George’s German Lutheran Church

1763, German Lutheran Church

church lutheran

Aldgate Tower

Office and retail tower, constructed 2006-2014, designed by Wilkinson Eyre Architects


Maersk House

1974 as Beagle House, Richard Seifert & Partners, architects, demolished 2017-18


16-18 Whitechapel Road

1938-9, factory for Buck & Hickman Ltd, toolmakers

Rhythm Factory Buck & Hickman Killby & Gayford Ltd

Altab Ali Park, including the site of the parish church of St Mary Matfelon

Former churchyard with medieval origins, renamed in 1994


The Relay Building, 1 Commercial Street

2008 and 2012-14, 23-storey offices, flats, shops and entrance to Aldgate East station. Entrance to social housing in Tyne Street


94 Whitechapel High Street

1956 shop and office building, with carriageway, formerly the entrance to Spread Eagle Yard


Shell Petrol Station, 139-149 Whitechapel Road

petrol station of 1953-4, rebuilt 1991


Whitechapel Station

1874-5 station for the East London Railway Company, back parts rebuilt in 2016-18


Whitechapel Station

1884, station entrance (converted) with buildings and platforms for the Metropolitan District Railway, altered 1899-1902 and 2013-18


Whitechapel Station

Platforms opened in 1884 (north) and 1902 (south) with bridges over, and staff building of 1968 above

Whitechapel & Bow Railway Metropolitan and District Railway

Swanlea Secondary School

1991-3, secondary school, on the site of Brady Street Dwellings and Brady Street Mansions


Ibis Budget Hotel (formerly Brunning House)

1959-63, office block over garage, converted to hotel with flanking additions from 2010 (former almshouse, theatre, cinema and station site)


Flats 1 to 12, 63 Gower's Walk

2007-8 six-storey block of 12 'affordable housing' flats (site of goods depot), part of redevelopment of 52-58 Commercial Road


1 to 54 Times Square, Hooper Street

2006-7, six-storey block of flats, on site of part of the London, Tilbury and Southend goods depot


Flats 1 to 58, 120 Gower's Walk

2007-8 6-storey block of flats, site of part of the London, Tilbury and Southend railway goods depot


Old Pump House, 19-20 Hooper Street

1885-6, former engine house of the LTSR goods depot, converted to offices 2004-5


53 Gower's Walk

1993-6 Postmodern terraced house in red and stock brick, site of the entrance to the yards of T.M. Fairclough, meat hauliers


49 Gower's Walk

1993-6 Postmodern terraced house in red and stock brick


46 Commercial Road

1871-2, former Hall of Gunmakers' Company, 1893 staircase, building sold 1927, now offices. North entrance to Tilbury depot adjoined west.


East London Mail Centre and E1 Delivery Office

Former head office for the ‘E’ postal district, built by the Ministry of Public Building and Works in the 1960s.


Unit 73a, 25 Cable Street

railway arches used as light industrial unit, site of Sun and Sword alehouse


Pier in middle of Leman Street

19th-century stone and brick pier supporting railway viaduct


Tower Mint Apartments

2009-10, flats with shop and offices


66 Royal Mint Street

1890, warehouse, converted to flats in the 1970s


Wombat's (Aldgate Hostel), 7 Dock Street

1830-5 to Ensign Street as the Brunswick Maritime Establishment, an early sailors' home, extended to Dock Street in 1865-7 (rebuilt 1953-8)


Sapphire Court, 1 Ensign Street

c.1997-9, flats


Aldgate Place

2014-18, Barratt London development, under construction, site of Gardiner's Corner


Vallance Gardens, Vallance Road

public garden, formerly Quakers' Burial Ground from 1687 to 1857, landscaped as a recreation ground 1879-80 and again in 2002-3


Whitechapel Market, Whitechapel Road

street market, with furnishings including the King Edward VII Memorial Drinking Fountain


Whitechapel High Street