All places tagged "industry"

12-20 Osborn Street (Arbor City Hotel)

1957-61, clothing factory converted to hotel in 2001, on the site of a sugar refinery (1795) and the Victoria Wine Company's depot (1879)


16-18 Whitechapel Road

1938-9, factory for Buck & Hickman Ltd, toolmakers

Rhythm Factory Buck & Hickman Killby & Gayford Ltd

Whitechapel Bell Foundry

Bell foundry, built mid 1740s, extended to rear

foundry bells

88 Whitechapel High Street

early 19th-century shop and office building, with entryway to Gunthorpe Street and decorative features from occupancy by Jewish Post 1935


27 Osborn Street

1927 red brick and engineering brick former offices of Stepney Borough electricity substation, now UK Power Networks


101 Whitechapel High Street

1960 office building and former bank, on site of Tewkesbury Buildings


3 Gunthorpe Street

1997 workshop building with 1899-1900 retained street facade of Whitechapel Board of Works refuse destructor building


27 Osborn Street

2009-12 UK Power Newtorks substation (formerly Whitechapel/Stepney/London Electricity substation), previously site of Ind Coope beer stores


Albion Yard (formerly Albion Brewery)

Albion Brewery established 1807, rebuilt and extended 1863-8 and 1894-1902 for Mann, Crossman & Paulin, converted to flats in 1993-5


Swanlea Secondary School

1991-3, secondary school, on the site of Brady Street Dwellings and Brady Street Mansions


Empire House

1934, clothing factory, converted to flats in 2017–18

H. Victor Kerr

Chandlery House, 40 Gower's Walk

1894-5 wine warehouse with frontages to Gower's Walk and Back Church Lane, altered and floors added when converted to flats 1998-9


The Proof House, 48-50 Commercial Road

Receiving offices (48), proofmaster's house (50) and former proving chamber (rear of 50) of the Gunmakers' Company. Largely built 1826


49 Gower's Walk

1993-6 Postmodern terraced house in red and stock brick


New Loom House, 101 Back Church Lane

1889-90 former Browne and Eagle wool warehouse converted to offices 1991


18 Ensign Street

Built 1893-4 as the Mercantile Marine Board Office


Shapla Primary School

1983-5, primary school


Hooper Square development entrance to internal flats

main entrance to Hooper Square development of flats of the mid-1990s


Camperdown House

Data centre, former office block of 1983, designed by Trehearne & Norman, Preston & Partners, site of former Camperdown House and sugarhouse