All Contributions from Bryan Mawer

The last East End sugarhouse, 1807-1961

Bloomfield House | Bryan Mawer

'On Monday night, about nine o'clock, the greatest excitement was created in the immediate neighbourhood of Whitechapel, by a most des...

From Gower's Walk to homes in Hessen

52 to 58 Commercial Road | Bryan Mawer

On the east side of Gower's Walk on the corner of what is now Commercial Road (formerly part of Church Lane) stood a sugarhouse. It wa...

Sugarhouse at 30 Whitechapel Road, 1779-1826

30 Whitechapel Road | Bryan Mawer

The Universal British Directory lists William Mears, bellfounder, at 32 Whitechapel Road (formerly no.267) in the late eighteenth cent...

A unique footprint

Camperdown House | Bryan Mawer

Tucked away in the archive of the late Bristol sugar researcher Mr I. V. Hall at Bristol Archives is a simple plan, dated 1856, of the...

Robert Montefiore Primary School, Deal St

Greater Whitechapel: former Deal Street School | Bryan Mawer

  Quotation from Survey of London: Volume 27, Spitalfields and Mile End New Town. "This school was built for the Londo...

Sugar in the Square

Shapla Primary School | Bryan Mawer

In the early 1750s, on the SW corner of the school site, stood the sugarhouse of John Arney. It backed onto Well Street (Ensign Street...

Sugar Refineries, 12 Church St / 157 Hanbury St

Greater Whitechapel: former Deal Street School | Bryan Mawer

  Prior to the school being built the site was used for sugar refining for much of the 19th century. Horwood's early map c.179...

The Montefiore Centre, Hanbury St

Greater Whitechapel: former Deal Street School | Bryan Mawer

  The building continues its use as an establishment for education and training, having been opened in 1896 as the Deal Street...

Size Yard

Black Lion House | Bryan Mawer

The footprint of the present building covers ten or so houses, shown on Horwood's map of 1813 to have been fronting Whitechapel Road. ...

12-20 Osborn St 1795-1877

12-20 Osborn Street (Arbor City Hotel) | Bryan Mawer

'A two-house sugar refinery and warehouses, Whitechapel ... extensive freehold and leasehold premises ... situate in Osborn St, having...

A sugar refinery with men's room, Fieldgate Street

Maryam Centre, East London Mosque, Fieldgate Street | Bryan Mawer

The 1873 map layer shows that the Maryam Centre sits squarely on the site of a sugar refinery, the later development of which took it ...

Mr Maud's Sugar House

18 Ensign Street | Bryan Mawer

On the 1790s edition of Horwood's map of London, 'Maud's Sugar House' is named, abutting the Royalty Theatre in Well St (the old name ...

Sugar & Tea

40 Dock Street | Bryan Mawer

In the early 1830s John Hodgson moved into a new sugarhouse at the bottom end of Dock Street.[^1] As the biggest danger in the trade w...


Montefiore Centre 2 (2001)

Greater Whitechapel: former Deal Street School | Bryan Mawer

Horwood's early map c.1799 shows only four small buildings, likely houses, at the east corner of Church St (later Hanbury St) and Deal St...