All places tagged "pubs"

The Oliver Conquest, 70 Leman Street

Public house established 1830 as the Garrick Tavern in a former mansion with the Garrick Theatre added to the rear, all rebuilt 1852–6


Former Ye Olde Angel pub, 85 Whitechapel High Street

1900 former Ye Olde Angel public house, now shop with guesthouse and offices above


The Bell, 50 Middlesex Street

Queen Anne-style corner public house with residential over, rebuilt 1883, in red and stock brick with rubbed-brick decoration

house public

Oceanair House, 133-7 Whitechapel High Street, London E1 7PT

1937 moderne shop and office building, previously known as Cardigan House, upper parts latterly used by London Metropolitan University


The Culpeper, 40-42 Commercial Street

1883 pub, the Princess Alice, reduced from 5 to 3 storeys after war damage. Later renamed City Darts. Since 2014 the Culpeper gastropub


94 Whitechapel High Street

1956 shop and office building, with carriageway, formerly the entrance to Spread Eagle Yard


Bar Indo (formerly the Blue Anchor Public House), 133 Whitechapel Road

1854 as the Blue Anchor Public House


233 Whitechapel Road with 1 Court Street

1854 as a rebuilding of the Star and Garter public house, now shop and dwellings

Star and Garter public house

Former Grave Maurice public house, 269 Whitechapel Road

1873-4, public house, closed 2010 and converted to shops and flats by 2014


299 Whitechapel Road (formerly the Lord Nelson public house)

1876 rebuilding of a public house with 17th-century origins, renamed by the boxer Daniel Mendoza when he was the landlord, closed about 1903

Lord Nelson Daniel Mendoza

Zam Zam Gift Shop (formerly the Lord Napier public house), 235 Whitechapel Road

1909, public house, S. A. S. Yeo, architect, converted to shop use in the 1930s

Kossoff's Lord Napier public house Grodzinski S. A. S. Yeo

34 Settles Street

1885 as the Bricklayers' Arms public house, later a shop, raised and converted in 2016 as flats


The Castle, 44 Commercial Road

1871-3 public house, built by Thomas Ennor

Thomas Ennor

The Artful Dodger (formerly the Crown and Seven Stars)

1825–6, public house, altered 1881 and 1888, renamed 1985