Peabody Estate Whitechapel

1999, sunken play area in yard enclosed by blocks of Whitechapel Peabody Estate | Part of Peabody Estate Whitechapel

Peabody Estate
Contributed by Christine.Wagg

The estate was built by the Peabody trustees on a site acquired from the Metropolitan Board of Works in one of London's first slum clearance schemes. The blocks were designed by Peabody's architect, Henry Astley Darbishire, and the estate was opened in 1881.  On 8 September 1940, the second night of the London Blitz, one block took a direct hit, and nearly 80 people were killed. In 1995 a war memorial listing their names was placed on the external wall of Block L.

Whitechapel Play Area
Contributed by Judit Ferencz

Themes