67 Whitechapel High Street

1853 terrace of four shophouses, refurbished 2010-12 | Part of 65-68 Whitechapel High Street

65-68 Whitechapel High Street
Contributed by Survey of London

The short uniform terrace at Nos 65–68 dates from 1853, when it was put up by James Brake, a Clerkenwell builder. Henry Crockford, a fishmonger at No. 65, and James Hunn, a greengrocer at No. 68, retained tenancies from before the rebuild. The early buildings the group replaced included a timber gable- fronted pair at Nos 67–68. Nos 65–68 were substantially refurbished and given new shopfronts in 2010–12 to plans by Julian Harrap Architects (Robert Sandford, job architect), with PAYE as contractors. The front walls of Nos 67-68 and all the stucco architraves and the cornice were renewed. The gambrel roofs are as original. This was the first part of the High Street 2012 project, ninety per cent funded from Tower Hamlets Council with English Heritage through a Heritage Lottery Fund Townscape Heritage grant. The project had been conceived when it was anticipated that the 2012 Olympics Marathon would pass by.  1

  1. District Surveyors Returns : Tower Hamlets Planning: East London Advertiser, 22 May 2014 - http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/heritage /harrup_architects_get_riba_award_for_restoring_high_st_2012_back_to_1900_1_36 12037: information kindly supplied by Robert Sandford 

65A-68 Whitechapel High Street in 2010
Contributed by Julian Harrap Architects

65A-71 Whitechapel High Street
Contributed by Derek Kendall