16 Walden Street

c.1816, house | Part of 2–16 Walden Street

Historic England list description for 2-16 Walden Street
Contributed by Amy Spencer, Survey of London on Aug. 26, 2016

Excerpt from Historic England list entry for 2-16 Walden Street (listed at Grade II):

Terrace of 8 houses. Early C19. Yellow stock brick. Number 2 with slate mansard roof and dormer. 2 windows each. Round-arched entrances approached by steps; doorways have fanlights cornice heads and 6 panelled doors. Number 2 has a stuccoed flat arch entrance surround with a narrow moulded cornice, 6 panelled door with top panels converted to glazing. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes, semi-basement sashes with cambered arches. Parapets. Interiors believed to retain some original features.1

  1. Historic England, National Heritage List for England, list entry number: 1065749 (online: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list- entry/1065749, accessed 26 August 2016). 

2–16 Walden Street
Contributed by Survey of London on Feb. 17, 2020

Walden Street was known as Suffolk Street till 1875. Its south side retains a terrace of eight houses from the first phase of development on the hospital’s estate at Nos 2–16, offered on building leases between 1815 and 1821. Ninety-one-year leases for Nos 12–18 were granted to William Davidson, Francis Davidson, John Ewans, and Elizabeth and Sarah Tweedy in 1816, followed in 1817 by leases to Ambrose Allison, David Harland, William Watson and Francis Smith for Nos 4–10. Henry Cook took No. 2 in 1821, agreeing to complete that small house.1

  1. Royal London Hospital Archives, RLHLH/S/1/3 

6-16 Walden Street (south side)
Contributed by IsobelWatson

Walden Street (south side)
Contributed by IsobelWatson