No. 121 New Road extends to a large range behind 109–119 and 128–130 Whitechapel Road (where there had been a clothing warehouse), is a four-storey 25-flat development of 2007–8, brown brick to New Road, yellow brick behind. Designed in 2003 by Paul Johnston for Goldact Ltd, the project transferred to the Paddington Churches Housing Association Ltd and McCann Homes, with the Ian Darby Partnership as executant architects.1
Three houses built in 1836 through Isaac Bird, perhaps with John Burnell, became 123–127 New Road. Following development at Nos 117–123 by N. & R. Davis, a synagogue was put up behind Nos 125–127 in 1895-6. This was promptly removed on the District Surveyor’s orders.2 The shophouses were cleared after Second World War bomb damage; their numbers now apply to a former warehouse to the rear of 132 Whitechapel Road (see p.xx).