The surviving three-storey houses on the south side of Newark Street (Nos 26–34 and 40–42), opposite St Philip’s Church, were originally named New Terrace and were among the largest dwellings on the London Hospital estate, matched only by those in Philpot Street. Nos 34, 40 and 42 Philpot Street, separated by the former St Philip’s National School and vicarage, have first- floor relieving arches and round-arched doorways with fluted door surrounds. A building lease for Nos 40–42 was taken in 1839 by Henry Cook Maister, who agreed to complete this pair with 67–69 Philpot Street. No. 34 was purchased by the Rev. Sidney Vatcher in 1894 and converted into offices for the East End Emigration Society, an organization that assisted with migrations to Canada, America, South Africa and Australasia.1
Royal London Hospital Archives, RLHLH/A/5/45, p. 424; RLHLH/A/5/46, p. 205: East London Observer, 26 Dec 1896: Tower Hamlets planning applications online ↩
Excerpt from Historic England list entry for 40-42 Newark Street (listed at Grade II):
1. NEWARK STREET E1 4431 (South Side) Nos 40 and 42 TQ 3481 15/499 II 2. GV
Early C19. Stock brick with parapet. Roof not visible. 3 storeys and basement. 2 sash windows each, ground floor windows round headed, 1st floor in brick arched recesses. All glazing bars except 1st floor of No 40. Iron balconies at 1st floor. Doorcases, moulded stucco surrounds, round arched with semi- circular fanlights No 40 has a 4 panel door.
No 28 to 42 (even) form a group with St Augustine with St Philip's Church, Stepney Way.1
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, list entry number: 1357860 (online: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list- entry/1357860, accessed 26 August 2016). ↩