26 New Road

shophouse, c.1810 | Part of 24-32 New Road

22–34 New Road
Contributed by Survey of London on Feb. 17, 2020

The row of shophouses on New Road between Varden Street and Walden Street (Nos 22–34) was formed from about 1812 when the London Hospital gave leases to Isaac Bird for Nos 24–26 and George Goldring for Nos 28–32. Henry Cook took No. 34, along with 2 Walden Street, in 1821. These similar three-storey houses were claimed to have ‘genteel’ residents; No. 28 was furnished in 1819 with ‘lofty four-post mahogany bedsteads’, card tables, and carpets from Brussels and Kidderminster.1 By the 1840s the row had started to attract shops and Walter Burrows (senior), a surgeon-dentist, practised at No. 24 from 1844. In the 1850s the house also contained a studio for his wife Eliza Burrows, a professional photographer. The rest of the row drifted into commercial use by the 1860s, when a cigar manufacturer, milliner, furrier and greengrocer were in occupation. At the Varden Street corner, No. 22 was rebuilt on a lease to Fred Schirmer around 1888 for Hyman Finegold, a Russia-born hat and fur manufacturer, to designs by Ernest H. Abbott, who enlivened a red-brick front with quoins and key-blocked gauged-brick window heads. Nos 28–30 were partially refronted by J. G. Oatley, the hospital’s surveyor, in the early twentieth century.2

<div> <div> </div> </div>


  1. Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser, 14 May 1819 

  2. Royal London Hospital Archives, RLHLH/A/5/14, p.329: RLHLH/5/5/1: RLHLH/S/3/5: Post Office Directories: www.rps100heroines.org/historical- heroines-voting/?contest=photo-detail&photo_id=6480: ‘East End Photographers’, East London History Society Newsletter, vol. 3/6, Spring 2010, pp. 16–19 

Historic England list description for 24-32 New Road
Contributed by Amy Spencer, Survey of London on Aug. 26, 2016

Excerpt from Historic England list entry for 24-32 New Road (listed at Grade II):

5 terraced houses. Early C19; numbers 24 and 26 with later shops. Yellow stock brick, all with stuccoed ground floors except number 28. 3 storeys and basements. 2 windows each. Numbers 22 and 24 - recessed square-headed entrances with overlights and panelled doors. Number 22 ground floor sash converted to shop window. Upper floors with gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes; number 22 with late C20 glazing. Parapets. Interiors believed to retain some original features. Attached cast iron railings with urn finials to areas. Numbers 28-32 - recessed square headed entrances with overlights and part glazed panelled-doors; number 30 has an architraved surround with panelled jambs; number 32 with original patterned overlight. Number 28 ground floor sash converted to a shop window; numbers 20 and 32 have segmental arched sashes in shallow segmental arched recesses. Plain stucco first floor bands. Upper floors with gauged red brick flat arches to recessed sashes. Parapets. Interiors believed to retain some original features. Attached cast iron railings with urn finials to areas.1


  1. Historic England, National Heritage List for England, list entry number: 1242006 (online: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list- entry/1242006, accessed 26 August 2016). 

Themes