All Contributions from English Heritage

Foundation and Construction

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

The lease of the ‘Little Alie Street’ site was purchased for £500 on 9 September 1762 and the new church was consecrated on 19 May 176...

Late Georgian Conflicts and Alterations

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

Despite having been enlarged during construction the church was soon found to be too small to meet early demand. In 1764 Pastor Wachse...

The Establishment of the Mosque

East London Mosque | English Heritage

In 1905 a number of prominent Indian Muslims in London ‘conducted the ‘Eid prayers in Hyde Park, near Marble Arch, in spite of sleet a...

The Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Centuries

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

There was little physical change to the church through the rest of the nineteenth century. In 1859 an infant school was built on what ...

From 1930 to 2004

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

Part of Mätzold’s caution through the insecure 1920s had been the deferral of necessary repairs. It was not long before his successor,...

Interior

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

Little has been taken away from the interior of the church that was built in the 1760s. The furnishings are remarkably unchanged. Box ...

Restoration in 1855

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

A painted tablet under St George’s west gallery, put up in 1856 and made by a Mr Cook for £5 14s,[^15] explains in German changes that...

Introduction

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

St George’s German Lutheran Church is the oldest surviving German church in Britain. It opened in 1763, and has changed remarkably lit...

Exterior

St George’s German Lutheran Church | English Heritage

The south front of the church to Alie Street has handsome eighteenth-century proportional dignity even though since 1934 it has lacked...