All places tagged "public house"

The Oliver Conquest, 70 Leman Street

Early 19thC public house, formerly Mr Pickwick's and the Garrick Tavern


1 King's Arms Court

2007-9, housing association flats


The Bar Locks (formerly the Horse and Groom)

public house, built 1902, painted stock brick

public house

Haji Nanna Biryani, 14 Whitechapel Road

Built 1881-2 as the George public house, shopfront of 1934

Buck & Hickman , Crabb & Son Ltd George public house Boris Bennett public house Ashby Brothers

Former Ye Olde Angel pub, 85 Whitechapel High Street

1900 former Ye Olde Angel public house, now shop with guesthouse and offices above


The Bell, 50 Middlesex Street

Queen Anne-style corner public house with residential over, rebuilt 1883, in red and stock brick with rubbed-brick decoration

house public

The Relay Building, 1 Commercial Street

2008 and 2012-14, 23-storey offices, flats, shops and entrance to Aldgate East station. Entrance to social housing in Tyne Street


The Culpeper, 40-42 Commercial Street

1883 pub, the Princess Alice, reduced from 5 to 3 storeys after war damage. Later renamed City Darts. Since 2014 the Culpeper gastropub


94 Whitechapel High Street

1956 shop and office building, with carriageway, formerly the entrance to Spread Eagle Yard


199 Whitechapel Road (former Black Bull public house)

A 19th-century building, refronted as a public house in 1925–7 in 'Brewers' Tudor' style, now a Bangladeshi restaurant

'public house' 'Bangladeshi restaurant'

Bar Indo (formerly the Blue Anchor Public House), 133 Whitechapel Road

1854 as the Blue Anchor Public House


233 Whitechapel Road with 1 Court Street

1854 as a rebuilding of the Star and Garter public house, now shop and dwellings

Star and Garter public house

Former Grave Maurice public house, 269 Whitechapel Road

1873-4, public house, closed 2010 and converted to shops and flats by 2014


299 Whitechapel Road (formerly the Lord Nelson public house)

1876 rebuilding of a public house with 17th-century origins, renamed by the boxer Daniel Mendoza when he was the landlord, closed about 1903

Lord Nelson Daniel Mendoza

Zam Zam Gift Shop (formerly the Lord Napier public house), 235 Whitechapel Road

1909, public house, S. A. S. Yeo, architect, converted to shop use in the 1930s

Lord Napier public house Kossoff's S. A. S. Yeo Grodzinski

Tayyabs (former Queen's Head public house), 83 Fieldgate Street

public house of 1885-6, now part of Tayyabs restaurant


117 Back Church Lane

1993-6 Postmodern terraced house in red and stock brick


The Artful Dodger (formerly the Crown and Seven Stars)

1820s public house with later alterations


Greater Whitechapel: 116 to 128 Commercial Road


Whitechapel High Street